- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the best-selling retail game in Japan this year so far. It has sold a massive 1.847.948 retail copies as of September.
- Pikmin 4 is in second place with 786.833 copies sold, and the latest Pokemon title in third spot has shifted over 773.049.
- Final Fantasy 16 is the first non-Nintendo entry to appear in the list, standing at the seventh spot with 414.216 units sold.
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was released on May 12, 2023.
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has towered the game sales charts this year ever since its release. A recent report further solidifies its jubilant launch amidst other titles. The Japanese game sales data repository account on Twitter has provided an update on the best-selling retail games in Japan this year so far, and the latest Zelda game surpasses every other title. It has sold a massive 1.847.948 retail copies as of September.
Best selling games of the year so far, August update.
Pikmin 4 jumps to #2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe climbs back to Top 5 while Armored Core VI and Momotetsu knock the Resident Evil 4 remake off this list. pic.twitter.com/mR9lFHiukb
— Game Data Library (@GameDataLibrary) September 8, 2023
The retail game sales in Japan were monopolized by Tears of the Kingdom, but Pikmin 4 has secured the second spot with 786.833 copies sold. However, the stark contrast of a million between Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4 only shows the enormous popularity of the new Zelda game. The third and fourth slots were taken by Pokemon Scarlet and Violent and Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe.
The rest of the games on the list are relatively close; The latest Pokemon title in third place has shifted over 773.049. The new Kirby installment on the fourth spot has rolled over 479.529 retail units so far. The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe also climbed its way back to the top 5. On the other hand, the inception of Armored Core 6 and Momotetsu pushed the Resident Evil 4 remake out of the top ten list.
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Surpasses Tears Of The Kingdom On Metacritic; Becomes 15th Highest-Rated Game Of All Time.
- Nintendo Patents Various Gameplay Systems From Tears Of The Kingdom.
- Nintendo Switch Rolls Over 129.53 Million Units; Tears Of The Kingdom Sells 18.51 Million Copies.
As seen in the list, Japan has seen a massive surge in Nintendo retail game sales this year. Splatoon 3 is resting calmly on the sixth place. The first non-Nintendo entry to appear in the list is Square Enix’s Final Fantasy 16, in the seventh spot with 414.216 units sold. The insane number of games by the giant conglomerate was enough to confuse some users to think it was just a list of Nintendo titles.
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was released on May 12, 2023, for the Nintendo Switch.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍