Baldur’s Gate 3 has 31 Quarterstaves, which constitute equipment typically catering to the best Sorcerer class. To effectively deal damage to the many enemies in Baldur’s Gate 3, it is essential to know about the best Quarterstaff in the game.
- Why Trust Us: Malik Allahyar has spent more than 35 hours in Baldur’s Gate 3, making his guides trustworthy!
Baldur’s Gate 3 Best Quarterstaff Comparison
Below listed is a summarized version of the best Quarterstaves, their stats, and their skills:
|Baldur's Gate 3 Best Quarterstaff||Skills||Damage||Rarity||Range|
|Caitiff Staff||Arcane Enchantment, Caitiff's Restoration, Topple||1d6+2 and 1d8+2 Bludgeoning damage.||Rare||1.5 meters|
|Incandescent Staff||Ranged Spell Attack, Fire Bolt, Fireball Spell, Topple||1d6 and 1d8 Bludgeoning damage.||Very Rare||2 meters|
|Harper Sacredstriker||Spiritual Weapon and Topple||1d6+1 and 1d8+1 damage.||Rare||1.5 meters|
|Markoheshkir||Arcane Battery, Topple, Kereska's Favor||1d6+2 and 1d8+2 damage.||Legendary||1.5 meters|
|Mourning Frost||Ray of Frost, Topple, Heart of Ice, Insidious Cold||1d6+1, 1d8+1 and 1d4 damage.||Very Rare||1.5 meters|
|Staff of the Ram||Staff of the Ram and Topple||1d6+2 and 1d8+2 damage.||Very Rare||1.5 meters|
|Staff of Cherished Necromancy||Heightened Necromancy, Topple, Life Essence Harvest||1d6+2, 1d8+2 and 1d4 damage.||Very Rare||1.5 meters|
|Staff of Interruption||Counterspell and Topple||1d6+2 and 1d8+2 Bludgeoning damage.||Rare||1.5 meters|
1. Caitiff Staff
|Damage||1d6+2 Bludgeoning and 1D8+2 Bludgeoning on Two-Handed.|
First, the Caitiff Staff is a rare 1d6+6 Bludgeoning damage-dealing Quarterstaff with a 1.5-meter range and has 1d8 + 1 damage while being a Two-Handed weapon. Players can acquire the Caitiff staff from the Helsik Merchant after going to the Devil’s Fee location.
A few reasons why the Caitiff staff might be considered one of the best Quarterstaff in Baldur’s Gate 3 are:
- Warlock Spell Casting: The Caitiff staff can support spell-casting for the Warlock, and you can regenerate a warlock spell slot through it.
- Arcane Enchantment Skill: The skill allows you to get a +1 bonus to your Spell Save DC.
|Arcane Enchantment||Players can gain a +1 bonus to the Spell Save DC and the spell attack rolls.|
|Caitiff’s Restoration||You can replenish 1 Warlock spell slot that has been used already.|
|Topple (Proficiency Unlocks)||Swipe towards a creature to cause knockdown.|
2. Incandescent Staff
|Damage||1d6 Bludgeoning on One Handed + 1d8 Bludgeoning damage on Two Handed.|
The Incandescent Staff is a Very Rare Bludgeoning damage-dealing Quarterstaff with a range of 2 meters and deals 1d6 Bludgeoning damage on Handed and 1d8 Bludgeoning damage on Two-Handed.
- Players can get it through the Quartermaster Talli merchant during the Last Inn during Act 2.
- Resistance to Fire Damage: Players will get enhanced resistance to incoming Fire damage while using the Incandescent Staff.
- Fireball Evocation Spell: You also get access to a max level 3 Evocation spell.
When it comes to the weapon skills, they are listed below:
|Ranged Spell Attack||Increases your overall Ranged Spell Attack by 1.|
|Fire Bolt Spell||Cast out flames that deal 1d10 fire damage to opponents during combat.|
|Fireball Spell||Cast out a bright flame using your fingers that will explode upon coming into contact with enemies and deal 8d6 fire damage.|
|Topple||Swipe at an enemy and deal 1d4 Bludgeoning damage.|
3. Harper Sacredstriker
|Damage||1d6+1 Bludgeoning on One Handed + 1d8+1 on Two Handed.|
The Harper Sacredstriker is a 1d6+1 Bludgeoning damage dealing Quarterstaff that is of Rare quality and can deal 1d8+1 Bludgeoning damage on Two Handed with an impressive range of 1.5 meters.
Harper Sacredstriker is undoubtedly the best Quarterstaff for casting a Spiritual Weapon and for a few more reasons, such as:
- Cast Spiritual Weapon: Players can cast a level 6 Spiritual Weapon by their side that floats and attacks the opponents with you.
- Sound Damage Output: You will also get a solid amount of damage that can hurt enemies during battle.
|Spiritual Weapon||Summon forth a floating weapon that will attack enemies with you.|
|Topple||Cause enemies to be knocked back and take Prone.|
|Damage||1d6+2 Bludgeoning on One Handed + 1d8+2 Bludgeoning on Two Handed.|
Next up, the Markoheshkir is a Legendary rarity Quarterstaff, which can 1d6+2 Bludgeoning damage on one-handed and 1d8+2 Bludgeoning damage on Two-Handed and has an adequate range of 1.5 meters.
- Players can obtain the Markoheshkir at the Ramazith’s Tower by going down to the lower level through the balcony, finding an interactive plate, and turning off a shield.
- Legendary Rarity: Since the Markoheshkir is of Legendary rarity, it automatically becomes a top choice for players.
- Weapon and Arcane Enchantments: Players will also get a Weapon Enchantment +2 and Arcane Enchantment.
|Arcane Battery||Use your next spell without using a spell slot.|
|Topple||Cause enemies to be knocked back and be Prone.|
|Kereska’s Favor||Level 4 Invocation spell.|
5. Mourning Frost
|Damage||1d6+1 on One Handed + 1d8+1 Bludgeoning on Two Handed +1d4 Cold damage.|
Moving on, the Mourning Frost is hands-down the Best Quarterstaff for dealing Cold damage to enemies.
- Alongside dealing 1d6+1 and 1d8+1 Bludgeoning damage on one and two-handed, respectively, the Mourning Frost also deals 1d4 Cold damage on both One and Two-Handed.
- The weapon can be found in the Underdark area and crafted by combining Icy Crystal, Icy Metal, and Icy Helve.
- Excellent Damage Output: Players will also get a solid amount of damage output while wielding it.
|Ray of Frost||Decrease the opponent’s movement speed by a total of 3 meters.|
|Topple||Cause enemies to be knocked back and be Proned.|
|Heart of Ice||When unleashing Cold damage, you can deal it once more.|
|Insidious Cold||While dealing Cold damage to enemies, using a spell will cause them to be Chilled.|
6. Staff Of The Ram
|Damage||1d6+2 One Handed + 1d8+2 Bludgeoning damage Two-Handed.|
The Staff of the Ram is a Very Rare weapon with a 1.5-meter range that can deal 1d6+2 One-Handed and 1d8+2 Bludgeoning Two Handed damage.
- The Staff of the Ram has been described as a quarterstaff that can draw its power from creatures that named it in the first place.
- Players can find the staff in a chest in the Jaheira’s Basement in the Lower City region.
- Enemy Knockback: With the Staff of the Ram, you can get a chance to cause an opponent to get knocked back.
As far as the skills are concerned, they are listed below:
|Staff of the Ram||Once a turn, you can cause knockback to an enemy.|
|Topple||Knockback an enemy and Prone them.|
7. Staff Of Cherished Necromancy
|Damage||1d6+2 One Handed, 1d8+2 Bludgeoning Two Handed + 1d4 Necrotic damage.|
The Staff of Cherished Necromancy is an excellent Quarterstaff that is Very Rare and can deal 1d6+2, 1d8+2, and 1d4 Necrotic damage on One and Two-Handed with a range of 1.5 meters. It can be obtained in the Lower City and dropped down by the Mystic Carrion inside the Philgrave’s Mansion area.
A few reasons why you might want to use the weapon are listed below:
- Necromancy + Bludgeoning Damage: The staff can deal both Bludgeoning and Necrotic damage to opponents, making it overpowered.
- Life Essence Gain: Using one of the skills, players can gain the Life Essence after killing a mob.
|Heightened Necromancy||Creatures will get a Disadvantage on their Saving Throws against your Necromancy Spells.|
|Topple||Knockback an enemy and Prone them.|
|Life Essence Harvest||Anytime you kill a hostile creature, you can steal their energy and get Life Essence.|
8. Staff Of Interruption
|Staff of Interruption Stats||Attributes|
|Damage||1d6+2 One-Handed and 1d8+2 Bludgeoning damage on Two-Handed.|
Lastly, the Staff of Interruption is an excellent staff that allows players to cast Counterspell on enemies. Players can get the Staff of Interruption while doing the quest Help the Hag Survivors at the Old Garlow’s Place.
The best skills of the Staff of Interruption are listed below:
|Counterspell||Level 5 spell|
|Topple||Knockback an enemy and Prone them.|
My Tips For Optimally Using Quarterstaffs
It may seem like I’m overly biased in this section, and that is absolutely right because of how much I love Sorcerers. Balthazar (my character) and I spent hundreds of hours hunting for the best Quaterstaffs and listed all my findings above.
The staff you want to opt for will heavily depend on the type of damage or build you’re aiming for. Personally, I like using lightning and fire damage, so there are a few staffs I cycle between based on what my enemies don’t like to be blasted with.
If you try out the Necromancer, for example, picking the Staff of Cherished Necormancy will be the best in terms of damage. It is important that you remember that certain type of damage is not that effective against certain types of enemies.
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Act 1 Items
- Baldur’s Gate 3: All Hidden Achievements
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Bear Scene
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Owlbear Cub
Staff of Cherished Necromancy, Ram, and Interruption Photo Credits: Lootward
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍