- In an interview with Automaton, it was revealed that Fate/Samurai Remnant was initially a “death game” referring to souls-like games but was scrapped for RPG-style gameplay to bring newcomers.
- Souls-like games often feature challenging gameplay where death is a common occurrence and progress may be lost if specific checkpoints haven’t been reached.
- Despite going for the RPG route, the game was still a massive success as it sold over 300,000 global units within its first week after launch.
In an interview with Automaton, it was revealed that Fate/Samurai Remnant was intended to be a challenging action game with a “death game” type of gameplay but was scrapped to make it more accessible as an action RPG so that everyone could enjoy the game. This also included those who are already familiar with the popular mobile game Fate/Grand Order.
Interviewer: The ‘Fate’ series is a work whose background setting is difficult to understand, and action games are a genre that requires people to choose. What approach does Fate/Samurai Remnant take for newcomers?
Mr. Sho: First of all, as an action game, we have a ‘difficulty setting’ as a basic part. Difficulty levels are also available for action game beginners. To tell you the truth, in the early stages of development, we envisioned this game as a so-called ‘death game’ type of severe action game. However, when I consulted with Mr. Nasu and others, I realized that those who tried to play this work after Fate/Grand Order would not be able to play it. There was an opinion. So we decided to change direction to aiming to be an action RPG that everyone can play.”
The term “death game” refers to the popular soul-like games that started this trend. For those who aren’t familiar with the souls-like games, they often feature challenging gameplay where death is a common occurrence and progress may be lost if specific checkpoints haven’t been reached. Despite going for the RPG route, the game was still a massive success as it sold over 300,000 global units within its first week after launch.
Other Content to Check Out:
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Leak Teases The Return Of An Iconic Boss Early On
- AC Mirage: The BEST Weapons
- FromSoftware: One Of The Most Influential Developers In Modern Gaming
Fate/Samurai Remnant was released on September 28, 2023, on the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍