Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Is The Best-Selling Game Of 2022 In The US

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the best-selling game in the US and the second best-seller in the UK.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 claims the title of the best-selling game in the US in 2022. The game is also the second best-selling game in the UK, only behind FIFA 23.

According to the yearly chart by GameIndustry.biz, Activision‘s CoD: MW2 outsold Elden Ring and Madden NFL 23 in the US to become the best-selling game in 2022.


Major Takeaways:

  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the best-selling game of 2022 in the US.
  • Splatoon 3 and FIFA 23 are the best-selling games in Japan and the UK, respectively.
  • The gaming industry saw a 4% decline to $184.4 billion compared to the previous year.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beats the likes of Elden Ring and God of War: Ragnarok to become the best-selling game in the US.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beats the likes of Elden Ring and God of War: Ragnarok to become the best-selling game in the US.

In Japan, Nintendo dominated heavily in every field. Splatoon 3, Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, and Pokemon Legends: Arceus made it into Japan’s top 3 best-selling games of 2022.

The chart also revealed a 4% decline to $184.4 billion in 2022. Out of which, 50% of the revenue went to mobile games alone. PC, browser, and console games generated the other half combined.

The gaming industry saw a 4% decline compared to the previous year.
The gaming industry saw a 4% decline compared to the previous year.

Regarding boxed vs. digital sales of games, the digital market dominated the generated revenue by 94.2%. Whereas the boxed games barely generated the remaining 5.8%.

Digital games are getting more popular with time when compared with boxed games.
Digital games are getting more popular with time when compared with boxed games.

Boxed games were slightly more popular in the console market, generating approximately 28% of the revenue, while the other 72% went to digital sales.

According to the chart, Elden Ring, which also recently received the Game of The Year award, was the highest-rated game on Metacritic in 2022, with a score of 96.

The chart also revealed the number of new releases and compared it with the number of new IPs that came out in 2022.

Not many new IPs came out this year.
Not many new IPs came out this year.

Nintendo had ten new releases under its belt but didn’t introduce a single new IP throughout the year. Microsoft’s Xbox(including Bethesda) released four new IPs and new releases.

In the mobile gaming market, Subway Surfers turned out to be the most downloaded game of the year. Honor of Kings claimed the top spot with a total of $2.5 billion in terms of revenue. PUBG Mobile and Genshin Impact claimed the second and third spots, respectively.

Honor of Kings generated the most revenue in the mobile games category.
Honor of Kings generated the most revenue in the mobile games category.

League of Legends 2022 season cinematic trailer received the most views (139.7 million) to become the most-viewed game trailer in 2022. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 made it into the third and fourth spots.

Fortnite‘s trailers made it into the chart.” width=”702″ height=”519″> Several of Fortnite’s trailers made it into the chart.

Genshin Impact was the most discussed game of the year on Twitter. The gacha game garnered about 12,571 tweets and 3,903,520 retweets.

Genshin Impact received the most retweets by a huge margin.
Genshin Impact received the most retweets by a huge margin.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had 20,584 tweets and a total of 406,310 retweets under its name. Street Fighter 6 was the only unreleased game that made it into the chart, with 7,898 tweets and 225,749 retweets.

In the comment section below, let us know your thoughts and opinions about this.

Did you find this helpful? Leave feedback below.

Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡

How can we make this post better? Your help would be appreciated. ✍

Subscribe to our newsletter and get up-to-speed gaming updates delivered to your inbox.

We don’t spam! Read more in our privacy policy.

Subscribe to our newsletter and get up-to-speed gaming updates delivered to your inbox.

We don’t spam! Read more in our privacy policy.

Source
GameIndustry.biz

Najam Ul Hassan is a News Reporter on eXputer who enjoys investing hours in his favorite video game titles. When he’s not playing games, he’s practicing Journalism. He began his career on eXputer after combining his limitless love of video games and all things geek with his considerable writing experience. He has been cited numerous times by several noteworthy publications and sites such as Game Rant, Yahoo, PlayStation LifeStyle, VGC, VG247, TheGamer, among others. Experience: 2+ Years || Education: Masters in Mass Media Communication || Written 300+ News Stories.

Related Articles

Join Our Community

Enjoyed this article? Discuss the latest gaming news, get expert help with guides and errors, and chat about all things gaming on eXputer Forums and Discord Server. Connect with fellow gamers who share your passion by becoming a part of eXputer's community.