- A new God of War title has started brewing by Sony’s Santa Monica Studio, as suggested by a new job listing for a combat designer posted on the devs’ official website.
- The job listing asks the one applying for a spot to know about the prior two God of War releases, indicating that the third title could be sitting in the oven.
- The AAA success, God of War Ragnarok, also hinted at a possible sequel in one of the game scenes. Regardless, the studio may be hiring for another rumored IP altogether.
- Sony or Santa Monica studio has not yet confirmed the prospects of a new God of War game in development anywhere else. We suggest taking the stewing rumors with a massive grain of salt.
Sony’s Santa Monica Studio is possibly already starting development on the next God of War game. The prospect was recently hinted at in a job listing for a combat designer that was posted on the studio’s official website. A significant requirement in the listing requests the job applicant to have prior knowledge about the God of War 2018 and the recent God of War Ragnarok release.
Must have knowledge of God of War (2018) and God of War Ragnarök (2022) and be able to speak in depth about the combat systems, mechanics, and enemies.”
The enticing requirement directly implies that the job listing is leaning towards the new God of War-related project. Some of the other mechanics stated in the ad also fall towards the RPG genre. There are no other direct mentions of the GoW IP in the listing, but it surely has got fans pretty riled up. It is highly likely to be a new project instead of the God of War Ragnarok DLC since the job listing mentions a “new unannounced title.”
The studio asks for prior knowledge about the last two GoW releases, which makes it safe to guess that it is asking to hire for the next title in the IP. Regardless, we suggest taking the rumors with a grain of salt since Santa Monica Studio, nor Sony has come forward to officially confirm the trio to the IP.
- God Of War Ragnarok Art Director Has Left Sony After A Decade.
- God Of War Ragnarok Director Would “Love” Working On A Castlevania Game.
- God of War Combat Producer Hannah Foell Departs Santa Monica Studio For Nintendo.
God of War Ragnarok featured a detailed story but still left a few ends loose for the imagination of the players. Some of the scenes in the game also suggested that the devs may move forward with a new entry in the series sometime in the future. All in all, we may not see the next God of War game for the next six years. Studios that develop AAA games under the Sony umbrella exhaust over half a decade to push out their magnum opuses.
It is also feasible that the devs at Santa Monica Studio are toiling towards a sci-fi IP instead of the next God of War project. The prospect was previously mentioned by the Santa Monica Studio writer Alanah Pearce in her podcast. The writer unveiled the info when she replied “same” to Mike Bithell saying he was writing a game for a sci-fi franchise.
God of War Ragnarok was a critical success through and through last year. It went up against Elden Ring for The Game of the Year Award and was beaten by quite a small margin. The entry sold in the millions soon after release and overshadowed most of the global game sale charts for months to come. It came out on Nov 9 for the PlayStation 4 and 5. A PC release is still awaited by fans of the IP globally, but there has been no news about it.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍