After finishing the main story in God of War Ragnarok, players will get to fight Gna, the Valkyrie Queen. She is considered one of the hardest boss fights in the game. Gna is a quick and resilient boss and can push players to their limits during battle. Fortunately, by following an effective battle strategy you can eventually get the best of Gna and learn how to beat her in God of War Ragnarok.
- The Gna Valkyrie Queen Boss fight is accessible after beating the main storyline in God of War Ragnarok.
- Gna can be found in The Crucible of Muspelheim Realm during the “Defend Your Valor” Side Mission.
- She is considered as one of the toughest boss fights in the whole game.
- After successfully defeating Gna, players will get “The True Queen” achievement in God of War Ragnarok.
- Players will also get The Queen’s Roar (Runic Summon for Freya), Queen’s Armor (for Freya), and the Rond of Obliteration (shield attachment) after facing Gna.
How To Beat Gna In God Of War Ragnarok?As we mentioned earlier, you will face Gna once you have completed the whole story. This means by that point you will be well-experienced against bosses and have your combat bearings set tightly. Of course, the fight will appear tougher on higher difficulties. However, it’s still something you shouldn’t take lightly, and prepare accordingly before facing the Valkyrie Queen of Asgard.
During the fight, Kratos will be accompanied by Freya, and by this point, you will most likely have some of the Best Runic Attacks. With that said, let’s review each sect of Gna in God of War Ragnarok.
LocationGna can only be fought after you have completed the main storyline. The fight is inaccessible before that. After you have completed the last story missions, head to the Muspelheim Realm with Freya to find the Valkyrie Queen in the “Defend Your Valor” Side Mission. In the Muspelheim realm, head to The Crucible where you will get to notice a new path.
After you enter the new area, move your gaze around to find a spot that you can latch on to by utilizing Kratos’ Blades of Chaos. After reaching the spacious floor (fit for a boss fight), head to the campsite which is positioned right at the center of the area. Here you will be able to find a journal. Interact with it to initiate the Defend Your Valor side mission along with the boss fight against the Valkyrie Queen Gna.
PreparationBefore getting into the battle strategy itself and getting familiar with the moves that Gna use. It is important to prepare for the fight. As we said, the boss fight against Gna isn’t to be taken lightly in God of War Ragnarok. With that said, it is of utmost importance that you collect each and every one of the Frozen Flame and Chaos Flame so that your Leviathan Axe and Blades of Chaos are fully upgraded. Gna is said to be a Level 9 enemy in the game.
Make sure you have unlocked and equipped some of the Best Skills for Kratos and Freya. Other than that, if you have explored All Realms by now you would have some of the Best Runic attacks as well. Even though there isn’t a perfect pick for a Light and Heavy Runic Attack but it is best to go for something which has a nice balance of Damage and Stun. Although, make sure that your preferred Runic Attacks on the Leviathan Axe and Blades of Chaos are upgraded to Level 3.
Even though the Draupnir Spear does not do as much damage but make sure it’s well upgraded and has some useful Runic Attacks such as the Thrust of a Thousand Soldiers. As for the Spartan Rage, we like to set it as “Valor“. Because it will allow you to generate a good chunk of health during the battle since Gna can cause some serious damage. We have also seen players roll with “Fury” but it doesn’t seem to do a lot of damage to Gna.
Lastly, we would also recommend you buy one (or more) Resurrection Stone in God of War Ragnarok before heading into the fight.
Armor & Enchantments
When it comes to Armor, there are a couple of different routes you can go for. However, your main focus should be on the highest Defense stats because Gna has a flurry of attacks that she can land in quick succession. One error and you’d be dead within a few seconds. With that said, you can go for the Steinbjorn armor set or the Guiding Light armor set. Although, do make sure you max out the armor set you’re going for before heading into battle.
If you’re someone who relies on Spartan Rage during battles then you can surely opt for the Darkdale Armor set as well. Now let us shift our focus to the final piece of the perfect build for the Gna boss fight. Last but not least, make sure you have a few triplets going on in your Enchantments section.
Having some Enchantment sets will fine-tune Kratos’ build in God of War Ragnarok. With these sets, you will be able to get some much-needed bonuses for one of the toughest fights in the whole game. In our opinion, the Helheim and Alfheim Enchantment Set is good enough for Gna. The Helheim Enchantment Set will increase Kratos’ Melee Damage whenever he goes below 50% health.
Whereas, the Alfheim Enchantment Set will enhance the damage of Kratos’ attack after a last-second dodge. Since dodging will be your best friend during the fight with Gna, thus this set can do wonders for you. Other than these sets, you can also equip the Regenerating Essence Enchantment. Apart from the Helheim and Alfeim Sets, you can also opt for the Muspelheim Enchantment set.
MovesBefore we dive into the battle itself and carve out the perfect strategy for the Valkyrie Queen. It is best if you first familiarize yourself with all the moves Gna has under her belt during the fight. Most of these moves can catch even the best of players off guard. Hence, briefly going through each of them will give you a much-needed heads up in God of War Ragnarok.
Here are all the types of Moves that Gna, the Valkyrie Queen, uses in GOW Ragnarok.
- Spinning Attack: A rather typical move performed by Gna, where she leaps towards Kratos with her wings open. You won’t be able to see any rings around this attack. However, it can be easily dodged or blocked, if timed right.
- Charge Attack: The Charge attack move is something Gna constantly uses throughout the fight. It is a yellow-ringed attack, which means you can block or parry it if you time it right.
- Ground Slam: Another yellow-ringed move used by Gna. It is a common move where the Valkyrie Queen will create shockwaves within her vicinity causing damage to Kratos. However, it is an easy attack to parry.
- Thrust and Grab: This is a red-ring move, which means it can not be blocked. Hence, it is important that you dodge away from the direction in which Gna is moving into. If you don’t dodge the move in time then Gna will launch you up in the air and pull you down to the ground, ultimately causing you significant damage.
- Throat Kicks: During the fight, Gna will fly up in the air and land hard on the ground while screaming “For Asgard“. She will repeat the jump three times and if Kratos gets caught in any of them, Gna will put her foot to the throat of Kratos and kick him repeatedly until Freya comes to intervene. The Throat Kicks are Red-rings attacks which means you can not block them.
- Wing Jab: Another Red-ring attack in the moveset of Gna. During her quick flurry of wing attacks, she will sometimes slide in a wing jab which is extremely fast and unblockable.
- Kick Attack: A simple yet deadly move, usually performed when Gna is close to Kratos. She will hover in the air and try landing a kick on the player. The move can not be blocked, therefore, needs to be dodged by rolling away at the perfect time.
- Bifrost Beams: A deadly attack performed by Gna where she can inflict Bifrost on Kratos. During the move, Gna will initiate several beams from the sky onto the battlefield. The best way to avoid getting damaged by the Bifrost is to stay away from the AoE.
- Ranged Attack: A Red-ring attack in which the Valkyrie Queen will eject several shots from her Wings toward Kratos. These can catch even the best players off-guard and since they are red-ringed, they can not be blocked.
- Electric Field: One of the deadliest attacks in the whole boss fight. During the move, Gna will charge herself up while calling upon electricity on the field. You can interrupt her attack by getting close to her and double-tapping L1. However, if you fail to do so you can instantly die if you’re caught within the red ring of electricity, which represents the AoE.
- Fiery Wave: The Fiery Wave is a ranged attack used by Gna. She will pull out her staff and charge it up with fire. After a while, she will smash it on the ground sending a wave of bursting fire in front of her. The attack can not be dodged, however, it is easy to dodge.
FightNow you should be all set up and have the best build (preferably fully upgraded). If you are then it’s time to head to The Crucible in Muspelheim and beat Gna the Valkyrie Queen in God of War Ragnarok. By now you’re well accustomed to the fact that Gna puts up one of the toughest fights in the whole game. Despite having loads of experience against several bosses in God of War Ragnarok, you still can’t head into this battle being too confident.
The battle is not only the hardest but also one of the longest ones. It can go on for a moderate amount of time because Gna will concede very less damage even with a fully upgraded Leviathan Axe and Blades of Chaos. Therefore, you will need to stay in the battle by perfecting your blocks, parries, and dodges. With that, you will also need to fully utilize the Runic Attacks on each weapon every time they are available.
As we mentioned earlier, keeping the Spartan Rage set at “Valor” will also help you prolong the battle. Having a Resurrection Stone in your inventory will also work as a perfect backup if things go South. However, if you die pretty early in the battle, then it’s better to restart the whole fight rather than wasting the Resurrection stone.
Once the battle begins, it is best if you head straight toward Gna and use most of your Runic Attacks (while keeping your guard up). Although it might appear a little hurried, employing your runic attacks early will let them cool down quickly. Which means you’ll be able to use them during the fight. Also, make sure that you utilize Freya as much as you can. Although do not let your guard down because, remember, Gna is capable of putting Kratos down within a few moves.
When it comes to her moves, make sure to dodge all of her red-ring attacks because they can switch the tide of the battle in a split second. Dodging, parrying, and blocking should remain your top priority during the battle. Gna enjoys unleashing a barrage of blows, so you risk taking a severe thrashing if you time your dodge incorrectly. With that said, it should be clear that blindly spamming attack moves is a wrong strategy in the fight.
In the moves section above, we mentioned an attack where Gna will fly up in the air and slam down close to Kratos. She repeats this process three times in quick succession. Hence, you need to be extremely vigilant and roll out of the way whenever she screams “For Asgard“. These triple moves can overwhelm players and make them lose the battle in an instant.
Another suggestion is to stick close to the Valkyrie Queen so that you can ultimately defeat her. We know this may seem like a dumb move but bear with us for a second. For the majority of enemies, it is best to stay away for most of the time. However, when it comes to Gna, staying close to her can work in your favor because you’d be able to carry out your moves and bar her from using any of her deadly ranged attacks.
Of course, she will eventually jump away from Kratos from time to time and carry out her moves. However, keeping the distance short between the two will narrow down that window of opportunity for her.
Nonetheless, use some of the best combinations of Leviathan Axe, Blades of Chaos, and Draupnir Spear until the Runic Attacks cool down. Meanwhile, keep blocking, parrying, and dodging her attacks while keeping the Valor Spartan Rage at the ready. Also keep a keen eye on the Permafrost, Immolation, and Maelstrom build-ups for your weapon. Utilize them every time they are available by pressing L1 + Triangle. Eventually, you will get the best of Gna in God of War Ragnarok and defeat her.
The fight is considered one of the toughest in the game. Therefore, it is understandable to fail a few times before eventually bringing the Valkyrie Queen down.
How To Get “The True Queen” Trophy?Once you finally beat Gna in God of War Ragnarok, the game will reward you with multiple items along with a unique achievement. “The True Queen” is a God of War Ragnarok trophy that you can unlock by battling against Gna. Hence, once you defeat her, you will get one of the most prestigious achievements in God of War Ragnarok.
Apart from the trophy, you will also receive 4,000 XP for Kratos and Freya after beating Gna. Freya will also get the Queen’s Armor. You can make Freya wear the Queen’s Armor by going to the in-game menu and opening the “Armour” tab. Here switch to Freya by pressing R1 and then choose the option which reads “Freya Armour“. You can then choose the Queen’s Armour from the list of available amours for Freya.
Players will also receive the Rond of Obliteration which is an attachment for Kratos’ Shield. Lastly, after defeating Gna you will also unlock and obtain a powerful Runic Ability for Freya called “The Queen’s Roar“.
So there you have it! Our complete guide on How to Beat Gna in God of War Ragnarok. We tried our best to carve out a perfect step-by-step guide that covered every element of the boss fight. By reading through the article, you would be well-educated on all the preparations you need to make. In addition to that, you know also know all the moves Gna has in her locker. Not only that, but we also included an intricate battle plan along with the list of rewards you will get after beating Gna.
If you have just started playing through the God of War Ragnarok missions, then we insist that you check out our Beginner Tips Guide. While playing through the game it is important to acquire some collectibles which greatly enhance the lore of the game, such as the Kvasir Poems. Other than that, it is also necessary to know all the Hel Tear locations in the game if you’re planning to fully upgrade your Leviathan Axe. Players can also find all 48 Ravens in the Nine Realms to unlock the Raven Tears armor set.
Thank you for reading through our extensive guide which covered the Gna Boss fight. For more valuable guides about God of War Ragnarok, feel free to stick around at eXputer!
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍