It Takes Two Becomes 2021’s Most Awarded Game
Game of the Year Awards Tracker crowns Hazelight Studios' action-adventure platform game, It Takes Two, as Overall Game of the Year.
2021 was, by no means, neither a slow nor a boring year for gaming. It was jam-packed with hotly anticipated titles, as well as new entries in many beloved series, that had us all on the edge of our seats and ready to practically throw our wallets away. With so many amazing games releasing, it was a tough decision for players as well regarding which game to crown the king of 2021. And, it must have been equally as tough for developers to compete with the likes of returning powerhouses, such as Halo: Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Hitman 3, Resident Evil Village, Metroid Dread, and Psychonauts 2, to name a few.
Not to mention, indie darlings put up quite a fight. With amazing games like Sable, Kena, Death’s Door, and The Forgotten City, among others. Among all of these was a surprise hit with indie values. It Takes Two was developed by Hazelight Studios, a studio formed by Josef Fares and former staff from Starbreeze Studio where they had developed another amazing indie game Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Hazelight Studios previously released A Way Out, which was also a title focused on cooperation between players.
It Takes Two is, by no means, a photorealsitic action-adventure game, as seems to be the staple of today’s blockbuster titles. Instead, it spoke to players’ hearts to such a level that no one could stop talking about it once they had played it. It certainly did stand out, and you will be happy to know (but probably not surprised) that It Takes Two has become 2021’s most awarded game.
Video game awards tracking site GameAwards.net tracks a plethora of publications and media outlets from the world over and compiles their data to determine which game won the most Game of the Year awards, whether in awards ceremonies or from media outlets. GameAwards.net has crowned It Takes Two as Overall Game of the Year. The game won a total of 82 Game of the Year awards, 62 of which were from media outlets, and 22 were by Readers’ Choice from polls and the like. The leaderboard was closely followed by Resident Evil Village (57 awards), and Forza Horizon 5 (51 awards).
The top 10 games of 2021 are as mentioned below:
- It Takes Two – 82 (Media Outlets: 62 | Readers’ Choice: 20)
- Resident Evil Village – 57 (Media Outlets: 27 | Readers’ Choice: 30)
- Forza Horizon 5 – 51 (Media Outlets: 34 | Readers’ Choice: 17)
- Deathloop – 35 (Media Outlets: 29 | Readers’ Choice: 6)
- Metroid Dread – 34 (Media Outlets: 28 | Readers’ Choice: 6)
- Halo Infinite – 26 (Media Outlets: 20 | Readers’ Choice: 6)
- Returnal – 21 (Media Outlets: 18 | Readers’ Choice: 3)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart – 19 (Media Outlets: 18 | Readers’ Choice: 1)
- Psychonauts 2 – 16 (Media Outlets: 16 | Readers’ Choice: 0)
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy – 13 (Media Outlets: 11 | Readers’ Choice: 2)
Similar Reads: Microsoft Makes History; Becomes Metacritic’s Publisher Of The Year
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍