- PlayStation lifetime game sales have seemingly climbed a prominent six billion figure. The PS4 and PS5 consoles amounted to 2,147,8 billion out of the total. PS Vita sales were not disclosed.
- Sony released its FY23 Q1 earnings report, and the brand boasted one of the most successful first quarters of any fiscal year for the giant conglomerate. It earned 2,963.7 billion yen in net sales.
- The PlayStation 5 sales were boosted by 38% YoY. It shifted over 3.3 million units in the first quarter, which pushes the total PS5 lifetime sales to a massive 41.7 million units as of June 30, 2023.
- The PlayStation game sales grew by 28% year-on-year and finished at 167 billion yen for Q1 FY23. The growth is mainly due to third-party games, add-on content, and hardware.
Sony’s PlayStation brand has proven to be quite a tour de force to the gaming industry, and a tremendous new achievement further cements its significance. Its software lifetime sales have seemingly hogged over six billion copies sold globally so far (thanks @Zuby_Tech). As per the many statistics in the new Sony FY23 Q1 earnings report, the brand boasted one of the best first quarters of any fiscal year so far.
PlayStation Software Sales Sold Total Surpass 6 Billion Lifetime Sold Across PlayStation Systems!
— @Zuby_Tech (@Zuby_Tech) August 9, 2023
The PlayStation software sales have thrived and grew up to 2.1478 billion alone under PS4 and current gen PS5. The PS2 rolled over 1.537 billion software copies, and the number swooped down to the millions with the rest of the predecessors, respectively. Sony has not disclosed the software sales made on the PS Vita, keeping the console’s success as vague as ever.
- Sony’s Online AAA Co-Op Title Set In Fantasy London May Get A Day One PC Release.
- Sony Uses 30% Revenue Made From Xbox Games To Reduce Xbox’s Survival On The Market, Says Phil Spencer.
- Sony Sold 264.2 Million Games In FY2022, 67% Of Them Being Digital Units.
The quarter of the fiscal year lasted from April to June and skyrocketed PS5 sales by 38% YoY. The current-gen console shifted over 3.3 million units in the first quarter, which propels the total PS5 lifetime sales to a staggering 41.7 million units as of June 30, 2023. For a hearty comparison, Nintendo rolled over an impressive 3.91 million Switch units in the Q1 FY23, cementing its popularity in the market despite the aged hardware.
The PlayStation game sales expanded by 28% year-on-year and finalized at 167 billion yen for Q1 FY23. The increase is seemingly because of third-party games, add-on content, and hardware. The impact of foreign exchange rates has also played a role. The decrease in production costs and more third-party sales have caused the whole fiscal year forecast to grow by an extensive 270 billion, a total of 7%.
Sony garnered an impressive 2,963.7 billion yen in net sales, which is up 33% year-on-year. The operating income for the game sales segment lowered by 7% year-on-year to 3.6 billion yen due to acquisitions. The operating income for the company as a whole saw a major decline of 31% YoY and ended up at 253 billion yen.
The cash equivalents — the assets that can easily be liquidated to cash — amounted to an impressive 1,532,099 yen figure. To put things into perspective, it stood at 1,371,867 yen at the end of last year’s first quarter.
The PlayStation Network also shared huge growth spurts during the eventful quarter and now boasts 108 million monthly active users as of June 30. However, the PlayStation Plus numbers were nowhere to be seen in the Q1 FY23 report by Sony, which has raised the eyebrows of some gamers and analysts online.
Sony is toiling hard to stand at the top of the competition this generation, and its vast arsenal of first and third-party titles have helped a bunch. It is also willing to exhaust over 300 billion yen (2.1 billion dollars) on gaming research and development through March 2024. The conglomerate will predominantly invest in live-service titles, VR gaming, and subscription-based services.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍