To curate the best fighter build in Baldur’s Gate 3, it is essential to focus on close-range combat and use the bonus attacks that come with the class. Due to this reason, the subclass Battle Master is considered the best to use in your build. You can also utilize the fighter in multiclass and pair them up with classes like Thief, Ranger or Barbarian, and even Wizard.
- Author’s Note: With more than dozens of hours of experience in Baldur’s Gate 3, I feel more than obliged to provide you with hands-on experience on the topic below.
Best Fighter Build In Baldur’s Gate 3
Below, I have mentioned a Strength-based build for the fighter class, including some of the class’s best weapons, stats, and abilities. The build will revolve around the Battle Master subclass, and it is perfect for players who do not want to multiclass.
|Fighter||Battlemaster||Soldier or Outlander||Half Orc or Wood Elf||Athletics and Acrobatics||Everburn Blade or the Sword Of Chaos.||Adamantine Splint armor||Grymskull helm, Dissintegrating night-walkers, Cloak of Protection, and Gloves Of Power|
For the subclass, I recommend choosing Battle Master if you aim to make an end-game fighter build. Battle Master is by far the most versatile sub-class you can choose if you are playing as a fighter.They have great proficiency in weapons and armor and will allow you to choose 3 passives. Furthermore, you will also be able to choose 4 Superiority Dice.
- By choosing the Battle Master fighter subclass, you will be able to deal with extra attacks on your enemies, both melee and ranged.
- Furthermore, your health will be better, but you will have to use the necessary equipment throughout your battles.
- There isn’t much Bonus Action, and you won’t be able to cast any spells when using the class.
- The Baldur’s Gate 3 best fighter build will focus on features like aggression, maneuvering 2-handed weapons, optimal crowd control, and high DPS.
For background, I would recommend choosing either Soldier or Outlander. Both of these backgrounds are great for the Battle Master subclass.Both of these backgrounds will provide the players with proficiency in athletics skills. As a fighter, you will need athletics as much as possible, and only the Soldier and Outlander backgrounds offer strength-based skills.
Below is a comparison table of both Outlander and Soldier so you can choose the one you find best for your Fighter Build.
|This background is best for players who are focusing on survivability and want to withstand harsh environments in Baldur’s Gate 3.|
If fighting on the front lines and face-to-face combat is your play style, then you should definitely choose a soldier for your fighter build.
|The Outlander background will give proficiency in animal handling and survival.|
The Soldier’s background will provide proficiency in armor and weapons.
|It will help the players with any environment and improve exploration.|
This background will significantly improve your combat skills.
The race choice for Baldur’s Gate 3 best fighter build when choosing Battle Master as a subclass will be Half-Orc. However, you can also choose Wood Half-Elf or the Gold Dwarf for this particular build.In early access, race played a huge role when curating your build in Baldur’s Gate 3. However, now your ability scores won’t be affected no matter what race you choose, but you will still be able to use some passive abilities, including extra proficiency and HP.
Wood Half Elf Or Wood Elf
|Relentless Endurance Racial features that will allow you to stay 1 for a turn and prevent dropping to 0 hit points.|
The most notable feature is high mobility and movement speed, which will allow players to reach their target enemies in a quicker and more efficient way.
|When playing in the Underdark will provide dark vision and extra damage.|
Increases survivability as well. You will be able to run away from battles when necessary when choosing the wood elf race.
|You will roll 3 damage dice whenever you perform a critical hit instead of two.|
Has great melee abilities, perfect for fighter class.
I will be focusing on two skills, athletics and acrobatics, to make the Baldur’s Gate 3 the best fighter build.These skills are extremely important for the fighter class as they directly affect your proficiency during combat.
The acrobatic skill is focused on dexterity. It will directly affect your character’s agility as well as its ability to execute acrobatic moves, dodge, and maneuvers when necessary. Furthermore, it is also essential to maintain balance during combat.
- If you choose Outlander as your background, then the proficiency of the acrobatic skill will increase significantly.
- The fighter class will focus on dexterity a lot; therefore, acrobatics skill is necessary.
- Moreover, as a fighter, agility will be a prime focus for you; therefore, acrobatics can help you out a lot in this case.
The athletics skill is a physical attribute that will impact your Strength and abilities, like grappling, swimming, climbing, and jumping.
- The fighter class focuses on using melee weapons; thus, athletics is a great skill to invest in.
- Furthermore, by choosing the Outlander background, you will add proficiency to the skill.
- It is excellent for increasing survivability as you can survive environments that might be hazardous to your health.
For the Battle Master subclass fighter build, we will be focusing on Dexterity and Strength as well as a constitution in Baldur’s Gate 3.Distributing your ability points in the right way can ultimately improve your gameplay a lot. Below is the ability score I will recommend for the Battle Master fighter build in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Focusing on Strength and Constitution will help players deal double the damage while maintaining their HP throughout the intensive battles.
Furthermore, investing ability points in these two stats will increase survivability as well. After that, we will focus on Dexterity so the kill ratio will be high and the damage reduction will be maximum.
As you level up, you will be unlocking a lot of battle maneuvers and feats that you can use in your build.Furthermore, later on, you will also unlock Illithid Powers. Below is the recommended class progression for Baldur’s Gate 3 best fighter build, along with the battle maneuvers and feats that you should use in your build.
In level 1, you will be able to select a fighting style. The Great Weapon Fighting Style is best for this build.
You will unlock a powerful skill called the Action Surge which will allow you to gain one additional action during combat.
In this level, you will be able to select your subclass, which for this build will be the Battle Master subclass. Furthermore, you will unlock battle maneuvers, and I recommend choosing Riposte, Trip Attack, and Menacing Attack for this build.
In this level, you will be able to increase your ability score or choose a Feat, and for that, I will recommend the excellent weapon master feat.
In this level, you will be able to unlock an extra attack. Furthermore, your chances of landing critical strikes will also increase.
I will recommend using this level to improve your abilities; however, if you want to unlock a feat, I will recommend unlocking Sentinel.
On this level, you can pick two additional battle maneuvers. I recommend choosing the Distracting Strike and the Precision Attack for the build.
On this level, you will be able to select another Feat, and I will recommend choosing either charger or alert. Using the alert feat, you can obtain a + 5 bonus in the initiative.
Here you can unlock the class feature indomitable, allowing you to roll again whenever you fail a saving throw during combat.
You will be able to select two more battle maneuvers, and I will recommend selecting either the sweeping attack or the trip attack.
On this level, you will get an improved extra attack which will allow you to use two attacks whenever you make use of the primary hand weapon in the battle.
You will be able to choose another feat and improve your ability points. I would recommend choosing the savage attacker feat for the Battle Master build.
Below I will recommend the best weapons, armor, and gear that you can use for the Battle Master Fighter build in Baldur’s Gate 3.
For weapons, I would recommend choosing the Everburn Blade or the Sword Of Chaos.The Everburn Blade can be obtained from Commander Zhalk when you finish the prologue.
- On the other hand, you can obtain the sword of chaos during act three as soon as you defeat Sarevok and the quest called Investigate The Murders.
- The Everburn Blade will grant you fire damage, while the Sword Of Chaos will help you deal Necrotic Damage and recover HP every time you attack the target.
- For long-range weapons, I would recommend using either a Longbow or a crossbow. You can use the Gontr Mael, also obtained in Act 3 from the Steel Watcher Titan in Steel Watcher Foundry.
For the armor, I recommend that you choose the Adamantine Splint armor, as this is capable of reducing incoming damage by 2.
- You can obtain the armor during the Adamantine Forge quest by visiting the Grymforge Area. The armor will also give you 17 AC.
- For helmets, I would recommend choosing the Grymskull Helm, which will provide you with resistance against fire damage.
- Next, for the boots, you can choose the Disintegrating Night Walkers available in Act One. You must go to the Grymforge area and loot the True Soul Nere.
- They’re capable of granting immunity against Entangled, Ensnared, and Enwebbed.
- For a cloak, the best choice is the Cloak of Protection, which you can get from the Last Light Inn from the Quartermaster Talli.
- It is one of the best cloaks available in Act Two and will grant you a plus-one bonus in saving throws and armor class. You can choose the gloves of Growling Underdog or Gloves Of Power.
For jewelry, I will highly recommend choosing the Amulet Of Restoration, which you can get in the Underdark or the Fey Semblance Amulet.
- In rings, you can choose the Ring of Absolute Force and the Emerald ring.
- The ring of absolute force will provide you with the Thunder Wave Spell that you can use.
- You can also use the Eversight Ring, which will give you immunity against the Blind Effect.
Consumables And Potions
For consumables, you can use the Potion Of Speed, Greater Healing Potion, and Basic Poison.
- The potion of speed will significantly help in mobility and is one of the best consumables available.
- You can use the more excellent healing potion to get a significant HP increase.
- Other than that, you can use the Feather Fall Scroll, which will make you immune to falling damage.
- You can also use the Elixir Of Hill Giant Strength and Alchemist Fire for the build.
Tips And Tricks
Now that you know all the equipment and skills you need to equip for the best fighter build in Baldur’s Gate 3, here are some tips that you can use to make your Build even better.
- Fighter is one of the tankiest classes in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- The Battle Master subclass is the most potent subclass of fighters. It has excellent melee prowess and exceptional bonus actions that make it quite versatile to use with any weapon.
- While you can multiclass with fighter, the build I have mentioned above can perform significantly independently.
- If you want to multiclass, you can always choose classes like Ranger, Thief, or Barbarian.
- Wizard is also a great choice if you want to cast some spells during your gameplay.
- Make sure to use bonus actions whenever you can. Also, I would recommend getting the Absolutes Talisman to make your build more robust and increase survivability.
- If you want to incorporate spells during combat, I recommend choosing the Eldritch Knight subclass instead of Battle Master.
With this, I conclude my detailed guide on the best fighter build in Baldur’s Gate 3, along with weapons and skills. While at it, don’t forget to read the guide on finding your belongings walkthrough and Withers in Baldur’s Gate 3. Also, read the guide on how to get the Dawnmaster Crest and the best class for Githyanki in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Cleric Class Guide
- Baldur’s Gate 3: Warlock
- Baldur’s Gate 3: How To Unlock Gilded Chest
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍