BG3 is incredibly diverse and large, making it very difficult to navigate through most stages as you progress. The BG3 Act 1 Checklist is a must-have if you even hope to complete all available quests (based on the path you choose). Even if you don’t want the 100% completion bragging rights, you can use the checklist to see whether a quest intrigues you so you may know what to seek out before the point of no return.
Act 1 Main Quests In BG3
Act 1 is not the most lore-rich section in Baldur’s Gate 3, but it is one of the most crucial ones. Your path largely depends on the decisions you make in this Act. Fortunately, the main quests (excluding sub-quests) can’t be missed at all, so you don’t have to worry about missing any in the Act 1 main quest list (granted, you play the game normally).
I have listed the BG3 Act 1 Checklist for all Main Quests below:
Escape the Nautiloid
- Rescue the Illithid’s Captive.
Find A cure
- Find the Githyanki Creche.
- Get help from Auntie Ethel.
- Get help from Healer Nettie.
- Ask the Goblin Priestess for help.
- Help Omeluum investigate the Parasite.
- Rescue Druid Halsin.
- Save the Refugees.
- Reach Moonrise Towers.
Act 1 Side Quests In BG3
One of the reasons BG3 is so popular is because of the sheer amount of content you can explore in it, from recruiting companions who may later become love interests to wiping nests of spiders for some delicious loot. In this section, we will look at everything you may do in BG3 besides the main quests before the point of no return (Act 2).
All Nautiloid Quests
During the tutorial, this quest sequence automatically starts when you explore the Nautiloid ship. Additionally, explore the wreck around where you land to unlock some of these. The list doesn’t contain the actual quest listings but rather the events you need to experience.
I have listed the Nautiloid-related Act 1 Checklist below:
Aboard the Nautiloild
- Free Shadowheart
- Defeat Commander Zhalk
- Free Lae’Zel.
- Talk to Astarion.
- Wake up Shadowheart and recruit her.
- Free Gale from the rift (arm sticking out from a portal).
- Investigate the Dank Crypt dungeon and unlock the Wither.
The Emerald Grove Saga
The Emerald Grove Saga is not a BG3 term but the term I use to explain all the quests that are linked to the Emerald Grove or occur in its vicinity. It would be wise to complete these quests with care, as some of your choices here will greatly affect your gameplay in Act 2.
The Emerald Grove Saga Act 1 quest list:
The Druid Grove
- Help the Tieflings against the Goblins and talk to Wyll.
- Speak to Volo.
- Rescue the Tiefling child from the Harpies northeast of the Grove.
- Talk to Kagha and Rath to trigger Halsin’s quest.
- Talk to the Strange Ox.
- Help or Ignore the Goblin prisoner.
- Learn how to play an instrument from Alfira.
- Defend yourself against the Absolute Cultists’ ambush.
- Talk to Dammon for Karlach’s Quest.
The Risen Road
- Find and recruit Karlach by killing the fake Paladins.
- Complete your first encounter with Raphael at the broken bridge.
- Save the survivors in the burning buildings.
- Help the Flaming Fist Knights with the blocked door.
- Find and explore the Zhentarim Hideout.
- Initiate the Missing Shipment Quest.
- Free the Artist in the Zhentarim Hideout.
- Save Mayrina and defeat the Hag (Auntie Ethel).
- Confront the monster hunter looking for Astarion.
The Goblins Emerge
The Goblins Emerge is the term I gave to the collection of quests that revolve around goblins or the area around their village. This is the main part of the Act 1 side quests because of the critical nature of how Goblins will treat you throughout your gameplay.
The Goblin Side-quests are listed as follows:
- Find the book called Necromancy of Thay.
- Find the Masterwork Weapon Blueprints.
- Defeat the Astral Phase Spider and its children.
- Rescue Barcus the Gnome.
- Investigate the Owlbear cave.
- Interact with the three Ogres.
- Find and release Halsin from the Goblin Prison.
- Race the Owlbear and free it from the goblins.
- Rescue Volo.
- Take out the three Goblin Leaders.
- Talk to Priest Loviatar (Loviatar’s Blessing) in the east section of the camp.
In The Underdark
The Underdark is one of the most terrifying places you can explore in Baldur’s Gate 3. It has many different entrances, which make themselves quite clear towards the end of Act 1. You can skip ahead of the curve, but you will be seriously under-leveled and will have a very hard time.
Here’s the Underdark Act 1 Checklist:
- Find the Selunite outpost.
- Retrieve the Sword Stuck in Stone, Phalar Aluve.
- Find Sussur Bark for the Master Work Weapon.
- Eliminate Nere and take his head to Myconid.
- Find Icy Metal, Icy Crystal, and the Icy Heave for the Mourning Forst Staff.
- Find Omellum in the Myconic Colony for the ring that protects your mind.
- Obtain the Petrified Drow and defeat the Spectator.
- Help Gut defeat Duergar.
- Find the Gnome in the Myconid colony and cure her using an antidote.
- Save Baelan from the exploding mushrooms.
- You can use the rare mushroom to unlock Shadowheart’s memory or restore Baelan’s memory.
The Fish People
- Find the Arcane Towers.
- Leave flowers on the Dog’s Grave near the Arcane Towers.
- Find the Festering Cove (Opposite Arcane Towers) to interact with the Fish People worshipping the False God.
- Investigate the Gith Disk with Lae’Zel.
- Save the Grymforge Gnomes.
- Help the Cursed Monk
- Find the Adamantite Forge for rare Mithral Ore and defeat Grym in battle.
- Investigate the Hidden Kitchen area to find the Runepowder Gnome.
Mountain Pass Quests
The only way you naturally come across these quests is when you’re pursuing Lae’Zel as a romantic companion. However, that reality is very rare but bears some good loot if you complete the entire path. A word of advice: don’t bring Shadowheart along because she doesn’t take too kindly to Githyankis.
All the Mountain Pass quests in BG3 are listed as follows:
- Find the Blood of Lathander Mace.
- Locate the Githyanki Creche and complete Lae’Zel’s companion quest.
- Steal a Githyank Egg for the woman at the pass.
- Speak with Elminster to enter the Shadow-Cursed lands.
My Tips About Act 1 Checklist
Personally, I never go for the 100% completion tag, but it is definitely fun to see how much you miss because of how captivating BG3 is all the way through. However, I have played it many times, so I have almost seen all the possible scenarios through a very painstaking process (waiting for days to pass is tricky).
Act 1 holds a lot of power regarding the attitude most NPCs will have towards your character. You can befriend Goblins and Tieflings or get an Owlbear cub at your camp. Consequently, you can kill off Karlach, destroy the Emerald Grove, and annihilate everything as an Oathbreaker.
That concludes the BG3 Act 1 Checklist. Due to the large nature of the game, it is possible some quests may not be listed. However, while you are here, consider checking out another guide, like the Best XP farm in BG3. If that isn’t to your liking, you can always opt for the Best Wizard Build.
- Baldur’s Gate 3: The BEST Party Compositions
- Baldur’s Gate 3: How To Get Helldusk Armor
- Baldur’s Gate 3: The Zhentarim Hideout
- All Origin Characters In Baldur’s Gate 3
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍