Unforgivable Spells are some of the strongest spells in the Harry Potter universe. Capable of twisting one’s actions to even killing them in an instant, they’re so strong that they’re considered taboo in the wizarding world. But in Hogwarts Legacy, you can use the unforgivable spells or curses by unlocking them as you progress further in the game.
There are three Unforgivable spells to be specific and they require you to make significant progress in the game before they can be unlocked. Each spell is unique from the other and if you find and use all three of them, you’d likely set yourself on the path of being an evil yet powerful Wizard or Witch.
What Are All Of The Unforgivable Spells
Let’s summarize everything regarding the Unforgivable Spells in Hogwarts Legacy:
|Spell||Type||Uses||How to Unlock|
|Crucio||Torture spell||Inflict pain on an enemy||Unlocked after completing “In The Shadow Of The Study" quest.|
|Imperio||Mind-control||Manipulate enemies||Unlocked after completing "In The Shadows of Time” quest.|
|Avada Kedavra||Instant kill spell||Kill the opponents with a direct spell hit||Complete “In The Shadow Of The Relic” quest for getting it|
There are three unforgivable spells in the Harry Potter universe, and in Hogwarts Legacy as well. These are Avada Kedavra, Imperio, and Crucio. They’re capable of causing severe effects to whomever you cast them on and if you don’t care for the ramifications, they can be extremely useful.
Here is what each of the Unforgivable spells do, according to the lore:
- Imperio: Imperio is essentially a mind-control-styled spell where whomever you cast it on becomes enslaved by your demands. This is a spell that even Harry has used in the main series.
- Crucio: You wouldn’t really be considered evil without actually torturing innocent individuals, which is exactly what Crucio does. It is a torture spell, capable of inflicting pain on even the strongest foes, and can get them to reveal almost anything.
- Avada Kedavra: The favorite spell of he-who-must-not-be-named. It is a bright green spell that can instantly kill anyone that it touches. Avada Kedavra, according to lore, is undeflectable and leaves no trace of any form of attack on the target, they simply die on the spot.
CrucioThe first unforgivable curse that you’ll come across is the Crucio spell (Cruciatus Spell), also known as the torture spell. The purpose of the spell is to inflict pain on a foe slowly so that they don’t immediately die but can feel enough pain to reveal any information that you might need for them.
Following that similar philosophy, the Crucio spell in the game damages enemies over time. The first time you get to use the spell or see it in action, you can actually ask to get inflicted by the spell yourself. Once inflicted, your character will feel “excruciating pain” and your life will be half empty.
How To Unlock CrucioTo unlock Crucio and other spells in Hogwarts Legacy, you’ll need to follow a side questline with Sebastian Sallow. Here are the steps to unlock Crucio:
- Initiate the Side Quest: To unlock Crucio and other spells, you need to start the side questline with Sebastian Sallow. This questline becomes available after completing the main quest “Welcome To Hogsmeade.”
- Receive an Owl Post: After encountering Sebastian Sallow, he will mention that he’ll remain in touch and send you an owl post to get to know you better. Keep an eye on your letters in the Owl Post section, as this is how you progress further in Sebastian’s questline.
- Check for Sebastian’s Letter: Eventually, you’ll receive a letter from Sebastian. This letter will initiate the questline. If you don’t receive the mail from Sebastian after completing the mentioned main quest, ensure that you are at least level 16, as this is another requirement. Level up if necessary and then wait for the owl post to arrive.
- Complete the Quest: Each quest in Sebastian’s questline starts with “In the Shadow of…” followed by different details depending on which quest you’re performing. For the Crucio spell, you need to complete the “In The Shadow Of The Study” quest.
- Learn Crucio: During the quest, you’ll be taken through Slytherin’s Scriptorium with Sebastian and Ominis Gaunt. As you investigate what happened to Noctua Gaunt, you’ll encounter a door that requires the use of the Crucio spell. You can choose to either perform Crucio on Sebastian, have him perform it on you, or opt not to learn the spell. After completing the quest, you will be able to use the Crucio spell as desired.
Follow these steps, and you’ll unlock Crucio and other spells in Hogwarts Legacy through Sebastian Sallow’s questline.
ImperioThe next unforgivable spell or curse that you can learn in Hogwarts Legacy is the Imperio (Imperius) spell. You can come across it almost immediately after learning Crucio and can be quite useful. According to the lore, it is meant to be used to get others to obey your command and to manipulate them to do your bidding.
In Hogwarts Legacy, it can be a great tool in the middle of battle, especially when going up against multiple enemies. It’ll allow you to control enemies and they’ll start attacking the other enemies for you, aiding you in battle.
How To Unlock Imperio
Imperio is unlocked immediately after you’ve acquired Crucio. As part of Sebastian Sallow’s questline, you’ll unlock another quest that takes you on a long adventure and at the end of it you get access to the spell.
To be more precise, you’ll unlock Imperio as part of the “In The Shadows of Time” quest. You’ll accompany Sebastian as he returns to Feldcroft, his childhood home. There, you’ll uncover an ancient relic in a catacomb.
The side quest should appear after you’ve completed the one for the Crucio. But if it doesn’t then you’re likely not at the required level, level 17. You can perform other side activities and try to get enough XP to reach the level so that you’ll get Sebastian’s post and the quest.
Avada KedavraThe final spell that you get access to is the Avada Kedavra, also known as the killing spell. Appropriate to its name, Avada Kedavra immediately kills anyone unfortunate enough to get hit by the spell.
The game remains faithful to that concept and actually lets you immediately kill anyone that you use the curse on, making it an extremely powerful spell to have in your arsenal.
How To Unlock Avada Kedavra
Unlocking Avada Kedavra is perhaps the hardest out of all the unforgivable curses and requires a lot of grinding. It is also part of Sebastian Sallow’s questline but requires you to be at a high enough level to actually unlock the quest. You can learn how to unlock Avada Kedavra through our in-depth guide, but we’ll discuss it in this guide as well.
You’ll need to complete “In The Shadow Of The Relic” to acquire Avada Kedavra. As part of the quest, you’ll need to make your way through a cave filled with Inferi. You’ll undergo a short boss-fight-like battle in the cave after which you’ll get the option to learn the killing curse.
The only issue with trying to unlock the killing curse is that the minimum requirement for unlocking the quest is level 28. That is, in fact, higher than the final quest of the main storyline, which players will likely complete by level 24-25. Therefore, it is likely that many players will actually get the Avada Kedavra after they’ve already beaten the game.
But, it is actually worth unlocking the curse before you complete the game as you can use it in the final boss fight. You’ll need to grind for some levels through different means. The most effective way to level up near the endgame is to collect all field guide pages.
Consequences For Using Unforgivable SpellsIn the Harry Potter universe, using unforgivable curses for harm can lead to a one-way ticket to Azkaban. However, in Hogwarts Legacy, there’s no strict morality system, and the developers have made it clear that you can use these dark spells without fear of Dementors coming after you. While there are no severe consequences for using them, your actions won’t go unnoticed, potentially unlocking different cutscenes and eliciting reactions from NPCs.
It’s worth considering unlocking these spells, perhaps in a second playthrough, as they can be highly useful, even against the final boss, leading to various cutscenes. However, keep in mind that the game offers a wide range of powerful spells beyond the unforgivable curses. Spells like Expelliarmus and Arresto Momentum are effective against enemies, and you can learn various spells in the Room of Requirement. Additionally, using a flying broom can help you navigate the game world efficiently.
In summary, the unforgivable curses are potent tools in the game, but there are many other strong spells to discover and master. While they can make you a formidable wizard or witch, unlocking them comes with high requirements, particularly for Avada Kedavra.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍