God of War Ragnarok has plenty of bosses for you to fight, and one of the toughest ones is King Hrolf. This is a boss you will encounter in the later parts of the game, and you need to defeat him in order to complete a side quest. Defeating King Hrolf in God of War Ragnarok isn’t an easy task, as he can use plenty of attacks in combat.
Side quests are a big part of God of War Ragnarok, and their difficulty level keeps increasing as you progress through the game. After you have made significant progress in the game, you will come across a side quest called Fit for a King. To complete it, you will need to defeat a total of 12 Berserker Souls in nine different realms.
Where To Find King Hrolf
The 12 Berserkers are not easy to defeat. In fact, they are easily some of the most formidable opponents that you’ll face during the game. All of them are highly skilled in combat and can instantly send you to your grave if you’re not careful enough.
After you have managed to defeat all of them, you will have to take down their leader, King Hrolf. Keep in mind that King Hrolf is an optional boss, and you don’t have to defeat him in order to progress through the main story.
After defeating all of his minions, you can head over to King’s Grave in Midgard to trigger the boss fight. His gravestone can be found in the mentioned area, and its exact location can be seen in the image below. After you get near his gravestone, you will be able to summon King Hrolf.
How To Prepare For The Fight
Preparing for the Fight Against King Hrolf:
- Recommended Power Level: Aim for a power level of 9 by maxing out all your gear before the fight.
- Upgrade Gear: Ensure your weapons and armor are upgraded to their maximum level.
- Transmog Feature: Maxing out gear unlocks the transmog feature for changing armor appearance.
- Obtain Powerful Armor Set: Prioritize obtaining a strong armor set, such as Guiding Light or Raven Tears, to increase your survivability.
- Skill Selection: Equip the best skills that complement your playstyle for the upcoming battle.
- Axe Skills: Focus on acquiring the best axe skills to enhance the power of your Leviathan Axe.
How To Defeat King Hrolf
Now that you have learned about how you need to prepare yourself for the fight let’s take a look at how King Hrolf will act during the fight and what you can do to counter his attacks.
Here’s a breakdown of his moveset and strategies to counter his attacks:
King Hrolf’s Moveset:
- King Hrolf’s moveset is similar to the Berserkers you’ve encountered before. He can use any attack from the 12 Berserkers.
- He frequently changes his tactics, making it hard to predict his next move.
- He can use various elemental attacks, including poison, flame, frost, bifrost, and shock.
How to Avoid His Attacks:
- Hammer Slam: King Hrolf performs a powerful Hammer Slam attack. He takes a few seconds to prepare for it, so move away to avoid getting hit. You can’t block this attack.
- Tonfa Combo: When Hrolf starts a series of close-range attacks, dodge or parry to avoid being pinned to the ground.
- Charge Attack: Hrolf rushes towards you with the Battle Axe of Fraekni. Dodge quickly, as this attack is potent.
- Elemental Barrage: King Hrolf floats in the air and fires elemental projectiles. Dodge these projectiles as they can’t be blocked.
- Interruptible Attacks: Some of King Hrolf’s attacks can be interrupted, such as the Hammer Charge. When he charges two maces, run towards him and attack to interrupt.
- Homing Ball of Doom: Hrolf can attack you with a ball of ice or fire. Use ranged attacks to make the ball disappear.
Enhanced Life Bar:
- After depleting half of King Hrolf’s health, he equips an Enhanced Life Bar shield. Destroy the shield to continue dealing damage.
Rewards for Defeating King Hrolf:
- 250,000 Hacksilver.
- 300 Bonded Leather.
- Helheim’s Virtue Amulet Enchantment.
- Hilt of SKOFNNG, an incredibly powerful sword known as the “sharpest sword in the realm.”
However, this does not mean that he can not be defeated. Just stay calm during the entire fight, and don’t try to keep an aggressive approach only. In other words, keep a balance between defending and attacking. In the meantime, you can also read about where to find all Lake of Nine artifacts in the game. Furthermore, we also have a detailed walkthrough of the Burning Skies Favour, and you can check it out if you’re having trouble completing it.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍