- According to the LinkedIn of a former global marketing manager at EA, Anthem sold 5 million copies during its lifetime.
- The RPG managed to sell 2 million units in its first week alone.
- However, it still managed to miss EA’s expectations of 6 million shipments by March.
According to the LinkedIn profile of former EA employee Alexandre Scriabine, Anthem sold a pretty respectable 5 million units during its lifetime. The ex-senior global marketing strategy manager says on his profile that the action RPG shipped 2 million copies in its first week alone (thanks Timur222).
However, company CEO Andrew Wilson stated back in 2019 that Anthem did not reach the sales expectations Electronics Arts had set for it. Per Wilson, EA expected the multiplayer title to sell at least 6 million copies by the end of March 2019, a month after its initial release. But, as it turns out, the game missed this target during its lifetime by one million units.
In addition, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen also said that the publisher expected more money from Anthem’s microtransaction, even though the game made $3.5 million from in-game purchases in its first month alone. For sure, the RPG did miss EA’s sales predictions, but considering how it topped charts in the UK and Japan, and was the second best-selling BioWare title in the US at the time of its launch, a case can be made about the publisher’s expectation being too high.
Other Content to Check Out:
- Anthem “Is The Biggest Thing That We’ve Done” According to Bioware
- MLB The Show Series Apparently Makes Over $100 Million In Revenue Every Year
- Industry Insider Hints At Possible New Dragon Age Details Coming Today
BioWare announced in 2020 that it was going to reboot the core gameplay of Anthem as part of its long-term plan. However, the less-than-satisfactory sales combined with the game’s mixed reviews were too much for EA and they ended all future work on the RPG in 2021.
Anthem came out on February 22, 2019, and EA decided to stop development on the game almost exactly two years later on February 24, 2021. If you still want to play the BioWare title for yourself, however, you can on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC as the RPG’s servers are still up, making it playable for everyone.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍