Sons Of The Forest is the long-awaited sequel to The Forest. The original game garnered a lot of praise for its AI and atmosphere. We are pleased to inform you that the sequel doubles down on everything the original did. Today we will provide you with the definitive Sons Of The Forest crafting guide. The game features a completely revamped crafting system with way more stuff to craft.
- Crafting is an absolutely necessary mechanic in Sons of The Forest, as it is the only way the player can obtain many unique weapons and tools which are essential for survival.
- The crafting system is now way more engaging as the player has to physically interact with the materials.
- There are smooth and really well-done animations for almost every single thing you can craft.
- To craft something, the player needs to “right-click” on an item and then combine it with another one.
- Thankfully, once you right-click on something, the game itself shows the player every recipe that the item can be used in.
- The sequel offers way more motivation to explore the Forest because of how many more things you can find and craft.
- Players acquire the Forest’s Modern Axe instantly. You don’t need to go explore all the caves in The Forest to get it, which makes gathering resources and cutting down trees far more efficient.
- Crafting gardening areas and planting seeds in them is an excellent way to obtain food in the game.
- The player can craft a variety of different armors, which all require different resources to make. These offer great protection against cannibals and ensure long survival.
- You can make your own base and add furniture to it to make the area feel homier.
- Crafting storage spaces helps a ton, as it allows the player to free up inventory space without discarding items.
How To Craft Things In Sons Of The Forest?
The Sons Of The Forest crafting system will feel very similar to veteran players. It will most likely confuse casual players and newcomers because of how different it feels when compared to other survival games.
Furthermore, now the inventory screen is far more expanded. It features a way bigger area with loads and loads of new items. All of it can be very overwhelming for players, but there is no need to get scared. Our guide will completely familiarize you with the process and the main necessary things you need to craft.
To learn what materials make what, simply add a material to the crafting mat by right-clicking on it, which can be seen in the middle of the screenshot we have provided above. Once the item is on the mat, the players can hover over to the “Gear” icon and find out what the item can be used to craft.
Now, it is only a matter of going out there, exploring, and hunting for the materials. It will take time, just as it does with any other survival game. Hunting down the required materials to make something cool is half the fun for most fans of the genre.
Crafting Things With The Old Method
Alternatively, you can, of course, still use the original crafting method if the new, more hands-on one isn’t to your liking. Start by opening up your crafting book by pressing “B,” then press “X” to switch the mode back to the original one. Now you can place structures, and it will show you everything you need to construct them.
Also, acquiring things like weapons still requires exploring the map and going through caves. Though most of the stuff needs to be crafted, the supplies do come by quickly, so it is never tedious or annoying. You will only have trouble finding materials to craft rarer items.
Must Craft Things In Sons Of The Forest
There are two things every player who is just getting into the game must know. These are compulsory for survival, and without them, the player can’t do plenty of the basic things. The first one is a camp or house, and the other is a fire to cook meals with.
Thankfully, the developers instantly give the player access to everything that is required to make a basic camp. Make sure you open up all the containers near the crash site. In one of these, you will find the silver Tarp that you can see in the image we have provided above.
Now, all you need to do is grab yourself some sticks. You should always keep carrying as many sticks and rocks as you possibly can. For this camp, you will only need two, or you can even use one. Start by equipping the Tarp and placing it anywhere on the ground. Once it is set up, just equip a stick and “left-click” on any two corners of the Tarp to make a Camp.
Making Fire is far simpler. Our Sons of the Forest Crafting guide contains so many uses for the sticks, and making a fireplace to cook is one of them. Just equip a stick and look down to beak it, and place it on the ground. Now hold “E” to light it on fire. Here you can cook meals to combat your hunger.
Things You Can Craft In Sons Of The Forest
Sons Of The Forest is a survival game, which naturally means that discovering every single thing you can craft will take time. That being said, we have figured out how to craft most of the stuff. Our Sons Of The Forest crafting guide will be updated as we find out more or if anything is removed or added with the early access.
That being said, below are all the different things you can craft in Sons Of The Forest and exactly what is required to make them. We are sure you will find the recipe for the thing you want to make.
Weapons And Ammunition
These are going to be your best friends. They help the player defend themselves again hordes of cannibals who will try their best to eat them alive. Strong weapons are needed now more than ever because the variety of cannibals have been significantly increased, and they are now deadlier than ever.
- Crafted Bow: 2 Sticks + 1 Rope + 1 Duct Tape.
- Stone Arrows: 2 Sticks + 4 Stones + 2 Bird Feathers.
- Crafted Club: 1 Stick + 1 Skull + 1 Rope.
- Crafted Spear: 2 Sticks + 1 Knife + 1 Duct Tape.
- Chainsaw: 1 Battery + Chainsaw.
- Molotov Cocktail: 1 Bottle + 1 Cloth.
- Time Bomb: 1 Wire + 1 Watch + 1 Duct Tape + 1 Circuit Board + 1 Explosive+ 5 Coins.
Armor is something that the player must start making for them as soon as they can. Thankfully, you can equip different types of armor at the same time to mix and mash stuff if you don’t have enough resources for a single set.
Moreover, wearing good armor makes exploration far more carefree. On higher difficulties, survival without armor is pretty much impossible. In our opinion, you should make as much bone armor as you can by burning cannibals to get bones. It is super strong, and you can obtain the resources for the recipe with ease.
- Leaf Armor: To craft one piece, you need 10 Leaves + 1 Cloth.
- Hide Armor: 1 Cloth + 2 Hide.
- Tech Armor: Gained through exploration.
- Creepy Armor: This is the strongest armor, and it drops by killing special mutants.
- Bone Armor: 4 Bones + 1 Duct Tape + 1 Rope.
Shelter & Furniture
Next, we have Shelters and Furniture. It offers plenty of ways the player can customize and personalize their base. You can craft a lot of furniture, and there are also a lot of options present for the type of home one can make.
It is disappointing to see that almost no new structures were added. Once again, the game is still in early access, so we hope that they add many new cool ones to enhance the base-building stuff further. Our Sons Of The Forest crafting guide will keep you updated.
- Camp: Tarp + Sticks.
- Wall Torch: Cloth + 1 Stick (Place it on a wall).
- Hunting Shelter: 6 Sticks + 5 Wood + 7 Stones.
- Small Log Cabin: 75 Wood.
- Leanto: 53 Wood.
- Lookout Tower: 60 Wood + 1 Rope.
- Tree Platform: 7 Wood + 1 Rope.
- Tree Platform 2: 35 Wood + 1 Rope.
- Treehouse Shelter: 70 Wood + 1 Rope.
- Treehouse Shelter 2: 96 Wood.
- Stick Bed: 16 Sticks + 1 Duct Tape.
- Stick Chair: 14 Sticks.
- Bone Chair: 15 Bones + 1 Skull.
- Bone Chandelier: 19 Bones + 9 Skulls.
- Ceiling Skull Lamp: 1 Rope + 1 Skull.
- Bench: 2 Wood.
- Table: 3 Wood.
Utility & Storage
You will collect a lot of items in the game when you are out exploring. The player’s inventory has a limit for how much stuff you can carry, so you will need to store it eventually.
Make sure to use different storage as much as you can. Regular utility stuff is also something the player should know how to craft as soon as possible. Showing players how to make storage spaces is one of the main goals of our Sons Of The Forest crafting guide.
- Repair Tool: 1 Stick + 1 Stone + 1 Duct Tape.
- Regular Fire: 2 Sticks.
- Torch: Cloth + 1 Stick.
- Stick Storage: 6 Sticks.
- Rock Storage: 7 Sticks.
- Log Storage: 8 Sticks.
- Shelf: 2 Wood.
- Wall Shelf: 2 Sticks + 1 Wood.
- Rock Path: Stones.
- Wood Path: Sticks.
- Bird House To Collect Feathers: 18 Sticks.
- Scarecrow: 14 Sticks + 4 Tape.
- Bone Storage: 7 Sticks.
- Mannequin: 20 Sticks + 5 Duct Tape.
- Flashlight: 1 Battery + Flashlight.
- Drying Rack: 13 Sticks.
- Water Collector: 1 Turtle Shell + Sticks.
Gardening & Traps
Traps are an excellent way to defend your base. Tactically place plenty of them around your base to ensure maximum security. Gardening is necessary for gathering food, which alongside the water, is necessary for survival.
Furthermore, you can gather seeds of different kinds of edible plants while you explore. Then you can return to your base and plant them in the planters. Soon they will grow, and now you will have a good and healthy supply of food.
- Standing Planter: 18 Sticks.
- Wall Planter: 16 Sticks.
- Fish Trap: 25 Sticks.
- Small Animal Trap: 14 Sticks.
- Bone Maker Trap: 2 Sticks + 3 Leaves + 3 Rocks + 1 Water Bottle + 1 Rope.
- Fly Swatter Trap: 10 Sticks + 3 Rocks + 1 Rope.
Sons Of The Forest has had the biggest indie game launch in recent memory. The AI can be a bit wonky, as is evident by this Subreddit post, but that is something that will certainly be fixed soon. Most of the responses from fans have been very positive. We ourselves are also having a blast figuring everything out.
Moreover, the game launching in early access also significantly helps its overall quality, as now the developers can take creative feedback from dedicated fans to make the best survival game they possibly can. The original game was a turning point for survival horror-focused survival games, and the new one is a very worthy successor.
Some people are still skeptical about the game. So, what is your opinion? Do you think it is an awesome sequel? What are your thoughts on the new crafting system? Do you like companions? Let us know all about it in the comments section below.
Consider taking a look at the following guides.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍