Elden Ring’s Magma Wyrms is an optional and recurring mini-boss with some of the best in-game drops, including powerful weapons like the overpowered Moonveil Katana, Dragon Heart(s), and a ton of runes. While you can fight this boss up to 5 times in a single playthrough, their movesets are nearly identical. As such, once you fight one of these dragons and expose their weakness, killing the rest of the Magma Wyrms will be extremely easy.
How Many Magma Wyrms Are In Elden Ring?
As mentioned, there are a total of 5 Magma Wyrms in Elden Ring, each with their own set of unique arenas and rewards. And like most similar-boss types, these dragons have varying difficulty, so you should preferably fight them in a particular order.
|Gael Tunnel (Caelid’s region)||Caelid’s Magma Wyrm|
|Ruin-Strewn Precipice (Liurnia’s Ravine)||Magma Wyrm Makar|
|Near Fort Laiedd (Altus Plateau)||Mount Gelmir’s Magma Wyrm|
|Volcano Manor (Behind the Guest Hall Site of Grace)||Volcano Manor’s Magma Wyrm|
|Eastern corner of the frozen lake (Inner Consecrated Snowfield)||Great Wyrm Theodorix|
1. Caelid’s Magma Wyrm
- Rewards: 1x Dragon Heart | 1x Moonveil Katana | 7,500 Runes
The Magma Wyrm in Caelid is the weakest dragon of the bunch, so you’ll likely encounter him first in your playthrough. You can easily get to it after going through the Gael Tunnel, located at the deep western edge of Caelid. The easiest route is to start from Rotview Balcony Site of Grace past the Smoldering Church at Limgrave’s northeastern boundary.
- From the Rotview Balcony, head to the cliff’s edge and drop down to the lower half of the hill.
- Continue going down the hill, staying close to the foot of the cliff, and you’ll eventually see a campsite with 2 Redmane Soldiers stationed at the front.
- Sprint to the entrance at the back of the campsite to enter the Gael Tunnel, after which you must carefully drop down the walkway onto the subsequent platforms below until you’re at the bottom of the mine.
- After taking the Gael Tunnel Site of Grace at the bottom, make your way straight ahead, descending the staircases and avoiding the miners along the trail.
- Drop down the ladder at the end of the path onto a wooden platform and go through the narrow tunnel on your left.
- Finally, at the end of the tunnel, open the wooden gate on your right to enter the Magma Wyrm’s arena.
2. Magma Wyrm Makar
- Rewards: 1x Dragon Heart | 1x Magma Wyrm’s Scalesword | 24,000 Runes
Magma Wyrm Makar is located atop the Ruin Strewn Precipe in the far northern region of Liurnia, one of Elden Ring’s early-game locations. To reach this boss, start from the Temple Quarter Site of Grace just beyond the trees near Raya Lucaria’s outskirts and north of the Rose Church.
- From the grace, use your compass and head north while staying relatively close to Raya Lucaria’s outer wall.
- As you move up the river, pick up the Crystalline Woods Site of Grace along the path.
- After this grace, continue going north through the dense forest.
- Beyond the forest, you’ll see a giant island floating at the center of the river, which you need to move past by going around it from the left side.
- Continue up the open river, avoiding the debris and the Albinauric groups, and as the path becomes narrower, it’ll eventually lead you to a wooden shack at the far end of the trail.
- Take the Ravine-Veiled Village Site of Grace next to the shack, and ascend the set of ladders beside the grace to enter the mine atop.
- Once you’re at the mine, take the ladder on your left, head straight past the poison-throwing militiamen, and use the elevator on your right to reach the Ruin-Strewn Precipe Site of Grace.
- From here, it’s a straight sprint to the upper floor via the ladder past the staircases and the enemy bats.
- Upon using the ladder, follow the canopy walkway and climb the other ladder at the end of the narrow path.
- Finally, run to the elevator behind the 2 Chanting Winged Dames and take the Ruin-Strewn Precipice Overlook Site of Grace just before the Magma Wyrm’s boss arena.
3. Mount Gelmir’s Magma Wyrm
- Rewards: 1x Dragon Heart | 19,000 Runes
This next Magma Wyrm boss is located in the far western region of Mount Gelmir. Fortunately, you can get to it right after you beat Makar and pass through the Altus Plateau.
- Once you beat Makar in Liurnia, take the Magma Wyrm Makar Site of Grace and follow the staircase and the elevator to reach the Altus Plateau.
- After getting to Altus, use Torrent Horse to follow the straight path through the trees and debris.
- Stick close to the foot of the cliff on your left, and you’ll make it to the Wyndham Ruins.
- From here, sprint past the area by heading northwest until you reach the ravine at the end of the ruins.
- Rest at the Seethewater River Site of Grace, found at the start of the ravine, and continue your trail through the body of water.
- Carefully make your way through the ravine until you get to an intersection, after which you need to turn left and carry on following the path.
- At the end of the ravine, take the Seethewater Terminus Site of Grace and take a left from Fort Laiedd, which should be in front of you.
- Following this path, you’ll arrive at a giant lava lake where the Magma Wyrm will spawn to fight you.
4. Volcano Manor’s Magma Wyrm
- Rewards: 1x Dragon Heart | 5,044 Runes
Besides the one near Fort Laiedd, you can pick up another Dragon Heart by killing the Magma Wyrm inside Volcano Manor. The only tricky part of this venture is getting to the Manor itself, which you can only do so by following Rya’s questline until she gives you the invitation to visit the mansion.
- Start from the Prison Church Site of Grace inside Volcano Manor, go outside the room, and run towards the Man-Serpent on your right.
- Jump onto and traverse the rooftops next to the Serpent, heading west until you can drop down onto the platform below.
- From here, drop down, ascend the staircase, and turn left, following the bridge to the building in front.
- Next, go around the entrance from the right side and climb up the ladder onto another rooftop.
- Jump down to the balcony from the far end of this rooftop, and go through the entrance at the back.
- Turn left and proceed down the hallway, avoiding the Albinauric-type enemies, and once you reach the bottom, pick up the Guest Hall Site of Grace inside one of the rooms on your right.
- After taking the grace, go outside the room and open the wooden door, dropping down to the molten platform and traversing across the lava until you reach the staircase on your right.
- Go up the staircase and use the cage-like elevator on your right to descend to the Magma Wyrm’s arena.
5. Great Wyrm Theodorix
- Rewards: 3x Dragon Heart | 180,000 Runes
This next and final Magma Wyrm is considerably more difficult than the previous 4 Wyrms, given that you fight him after reaching one of the endgame locations of Elden Ring. Theodorix is located in the Snowy Area, situated near the Mountaintops of the Giants. Accessing the Grand Lift of Rold via its medallion is the only way to reach this area, so it might take some time before you start pursuing this boss.
- Starting from the Consecrated Snowfield Site of Grace, you’ll want to proceed straight north without straying from the path.
- Avoid enemy encounters or alternate routes, and the path will eventually lead you to the Inner Consecrated Snowfield Site of Grace just before the frozen lake.
- After taking the grace, hop onto the lake and head east, where you’ll find Theodorix sleeping at the far end of the trail.
Weaknesses And Techniques For Magma Wyrms
Like most dragons, Elden Ring’s Magma Wyrms’ primary weakness is head attacks. Using melee weapons and spells and attacking the beast on its head will do more damage and break its poise much quicker. Once its poise meter is entirely broken, you can run up to it and perform a critical hit.
However, getting to that specific weakness is the challenging part, as the Magma Wyrm likes to run around the arena a lot, along with spewing mass amounts of lava while it’s active, restricting a lot of your mobility. Furthermore, once you’re close to it, the dragon has several wide-ranged melee attacks to force you away from it.
As such, you should equip either a Strength or Dexterity weapon focused on Physical Damage and imply the following strategies and counters against these Magma Wyrms:
- Stay at and slam the beast’s belly area most of the time, and rush to hit its head after it creates an opening by striking via either its sword or body.
- If the Magma Wyrm does its belly flop, sword slam, or swipe, make a well-timed role and return to attacking its head once the animation completes.
- However, immediately return to the belly area if it’s about to do its lava spit, which can easily stun-lock you and make you susceptible to even more damage.
- When the dragon is going to do his charging lava attacks, run and stay at either side of it to maintain a safe distance until the barrage finishes.
- Once that attack ends, you should temporarily stay defensive and wait until the lava disappears.
- Besides that, the Magma Wyrms commonly do a backspin after spewing lava, which deals a ton of damage and can be dodged by rolling backward away from the boss.
- Also, after roughly getting to half HP, they reach their second phase and imbue their sword in fire, after which they begin doing more melee strikes.
- In this phase, they’re usually standing upfront, making it almost impossible for you to hit their heads, so you should stay close to their legs and belly and continue from there.
Strategies Against Individual Wyrms
However, as mentioned, each Magma Wyrm has several factors that make it unique with varying difficulty. Some have higher HP, some have pools of lava in their arenas, and some can even be harmed by the environment.
Caelid’s Magma Wyrm is the easiest to handle since it has a large, open arena to move around in. Thanks to the sizeable arena, you should always fight this variant aggressively using the tips above to end the fight as quickly as possible.
Magma Wyrm Makar has the smallest HP out of any dragon but has a slightly more limiting boss room than the one in Caelid. You might often find yourself cornered against this Wyrm, which can become critical in most cases. Fortunately, the pillars inside the arena serve as a reliable shield against Makar’s lava spits, so use them to your advantage and keep strafing to avoid getting barbed.
The following two Magma Wyrms in Volcano Manor and Mt. Gelmir are much more complicated since half of their arenas are covered in a lava pit. These two also do their lava-spewing attacks much more frequently, further restricting mobility. In this case, going for the head is not the optimal approach, and you should instead always stick close to their bellies.
The last dragon, Great Wyrm Theodorix, is significantly stronger than its other variants. Although it has the most open area, this Magma Wyrm has the largest HP, and most of its attacks can instantly kill you in one hit.
However, one common strategy you can apply here is forcing Theodorix out of his corner and getting him close to the nearby giant crabs and land octopi. The mobs will start attacking the Magma Wyrm, knocking down his HP considerably. And while Theodorix is distracted, you can come into the fight and land a few hits yourself.
That wraps up our guide on Elden Ring’s Magma Wyrms, including their locations, weaknesses, and rewards. By now, you’ll likely have devised a strategy to kill each of these dragons effectively and spend their runes once you eventually do. If you want to explore more options for taking down these enemies, check out this Subreddit Post, where the community lists several alternative methods and builds to kill a Magma Wyrm.
If you’re looking for a potent melee weapon that’ll easily kill the Magma Wyrms, check out the best Colossal Weapons in Elden Ring and choose your weapon wisely. Also, consider reading the guide on Dragonlord Placidusax’s location and defeat strategy to fight more giant dragon-like enemies. Plus, if you want to focus purely on strengthening your build, here’s how to upgrade Spirit Ashes in Elden Ring.
- Elden Ring: How Arcane Works
- Elden Ring: How Many Players You Can Summon
- Elden Ring: All Great Runes
- Elden Ring Tonic of Forgetfulness
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍