- Renowned PlayStation YouTuber Mystic believes Sony is working on a new and updated PlayStation 2 emulator for PlayStation 4 & 5.
- He had heard it from his sources, and fans believe this rumor might be true because he doesn’t usually discuss potential leaks. Still, take Mystic’s claims with a grain of salt.
- Considering the current state of PlayStation 2 games on PlayStation 4 & 5, it could be a huge upgrade.
- Unfortunately, the rumor doesn’t come with a release or announcement window, so it is unclear when the emulator might be ready if this is true.
In his recent video(timestamp 2:52), renowned PlayStation YouTuber Mystic claimed that Sony is actively working on a new and improved PlayStation 2 emulator for PlayStation 4 & 5. If this turns out to be true, this might finally end the current heavily criticized PS2 emulator. Mystic did not give an announcement window as to when Sony might unveil this emulator, but even then, it is best to take this rumor with a chunk of salt.
While discussing the state of classic games on PS5, Mystic stated that he has on “good authority” that Sony is working on the new PS2 emulator, but the project is not ready to be unveiled at this point. While Mystic isn’t known for leaking inside information, he allegedly has many sources within the industry, so many fans believe this rumor to be true.
I have good authority on that’s what is happening [new PS2 emulator] and they are not ready with that new emulator just yet,” says Mystic.
The current PS2 emulator suffers from performance and compatibility issues. The console is over 20 years old, so video game preservation is of utmost priority to some of these companies. Sony achieves that by emulating decades-old classic games via PlayStation Plus Premium, while some old titles can be bought directly on the current consoles.
Even so, the level of emulation Sony offers with the current PS2 emulator is not ideal and has been criticized by many fans. A new PS2 emulator would be a substantial upgrade and a massive step towards better video game preservation. And if this goes well, Sony might then set its eyes on a PS3 emulator, another thing fans have desired for a long time.
- Sony VR Headsets May Soon Detect Real-Life Objects For In-Game Emulation
- Denuvo Suggests Emulation Is Bad; Gets Absolutely Obliterated
- PlayStation 4 Emulator RPCSX Can Now Run Sonic Mania At 45 FPS
In any case, it is still only a rumor and can only be confirmed with a formal announcement by Sony itself. Mystic said the emulator is not ready to be shown yet, so we might need to sit back for a while and hope this is true. This alleged emulator could carve the path for a potential PS3 emulator and avert the ongoing crisis of disappearing games.
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍