The Church of Vows is easily one of Elden Ring’s most important early-game locations. It’s rich in characters, items, lore, and boss fights. Along with that, the Church of Vows has one of the most unique and valuable progression-based mechanics – Absolution, which lets you revive and continue blocked NPC quest lines in Elden Ring.
- Players can find the Church of Vows in Elden Ring near the northeastern cliff of Liurnia next to the lake.
- Starting from the Liurnia Highway South Site of Grace, head north and follow the eastern uphill path until players reach the Artist’s Shack.
- From here, continue north past the bridge behind the Shack, and eventually, players will find the Church on their far left atop the cliff near the Lake.
- Inside, they’ll find a large tortoise NPC named Miriel, with whom they can learn various spells, give Prayerbooks, and discover the backstory of both the Church and several noteworthy Demigods.
- Besides that, players can perform absolution at the Statue of Rennala at the center of the Church of Vows, which will revive NPCs as well as remove any friendly-NPC hostility in Elden Ring.
- Players can also discover the Gold Sewing Needle and the Gold Tailoring Tools that can alter Demigods’ attire to make them more effective.
- There’s also a secret Bell-Bearing Hunter boss fight here; players can encounter it inside the Church by first resting at the Site of Grace till Nightfall.
Where Is The Church Of Vows?
You can find the Church deep within the northeastern region of Liurnia alongside the lake. You can access this biome after defeating Godrick the Grafted and heading outside Stormveil Castle from his arena.
- Starting from the Liurnia Highway South Site of Grace, make your way straight down the highway by following the stone-paved road.
- As you continue straight down, you’ll eventually come across the Liurnia Highway North Site of Grace on the road behind just a Sword Monument.
- Now, make a right and continue the uphill path by following the muddy trail past the broken-down pillars and debris.
- Continue this trail, avoiding all the wolves, crabs, and Tibia mariners along the way, and it’ll lead you directly to the Artist’s Shack behind the patrolling Leyndell Knight.
- Take the Site of Grace outside, head behind the Shack, and cross the bridge at the back to get to the other cliffside.
- Next, make your way north into the open field past the Burning Slugs, and climb atop the hill in front.
- Once you’re uphill, you’ll find the Church of Vows and its Site of Grace at the edge of the cliff.
Inside The Church
As you set foot into the church, the first thing you’ll notice is the giant tortoise dressed as a pope on the left. This is Miriel, Pastor of Vows and a non-hostile NPC. As you first interact with him, you’ll understand the origin and importance of the Church of Vows. The major takeaways here include the following:
- The introduction of Radagon and Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon.
- The marriage of these two demigods at the Church.
- Why Radagon returned to Leyndell and became the second Elden Lord.
After exhausting Miriel’s initial dialogue and talking to him again, you’ll now be able to buy Sorceries and Incantations from him. Alongside purchasing these spells, you can give Miriel Prayerbooks to increase his collection and lets you purchase even more.
Rennala’s Statue And Atonement
Another key highlight here is the Statue of Rennala, surrounded by a small pool at the center of the Church. This statue lets you atone for your in-game sins, as this option not only revives NPC whom you’ve killed but also removes all NPC hostility towards you in the game. This way, you can continue your quest with these NPCs whom you’ve intentionally or accidentally turned against yourself.
This process requires you to have a Celestial Dew in your possession. Celestial Dews are extremely rare vial items, and you can only get 10 of them per playthrough. You can find the majority of these vials in the game’s underground locations – Nokron, Nokstella, and Ainsel River.
- To use the atonement option, simply stand next to Rennala’s Statue until you see the ‘Atone’ prompt.
- After it asks you if you want to receive absolution, select ‘Yes’ and the statue will remove all NPC hostility and revive any dead NPCs at the cost of 1 Celestial Dew.
Besides the atonement and learning spells, you’ll also notice a small chest at the far right of Rennala’s statue. Once you open this chest, you’ll receive the Gold Sewing Needle and the Golden Tailoring Tools. These items let you alter a Demigod’s attire at any Site of Grace.
Once you defeat a Demigod, you can purchase their garments from Enya, the Finger Maiden, at the Roundtable Hold. Altering these garments is a great way to make the clothing set more effective, as they usually help lower their equipment load while also boosting poise.
- To alter attire, simply rest at any Site of Grace and select the ‘Alter garments’ option.
- Here, you’ll find the complete list of clothing in your inventory that you can modify.
- Each altering process requires 500 runes, and you can also reverse the change for an additional 500 runes if you want.
Fighting The Bell-Bearing Hunter
Whilst the Church of Vows doesn’t have any hostiles, you can still partake in a secret encounter against one of the Bell-Bearing Hunters at this location. There are 4 Bell-Bearing Hunters in the game who only spawn at night and follow a similar moveset to Elemer of the Briar.
- To fight the Bell-Bearing Hunter at the Church, rest at its Site of Grace outside and pass the time to ‘Until Nightfall.’
- Once that’s done, you’ll find the Hunter inside the Church, spawning in front of Rennala’s Statue.
- One quick way to tell if you’ve activated the boss fight beforehand is by seeing the statues surrounding Rennala’s Statue lighting up and Miriel disappearing for the time being.
Killing the Hunter will give you 6000 Runes and the Meat Peddler’s Bell Bearing. You can give this Bell Bearing to the Twin Maiden Husks at the Roundtable Hold that’ll let you gain access to and purchase the following items:
- A sliver of Meat for 1000 Runes
- Turtle Neck Meat for 1200 Runes
- Lump of Flesh for 1500 Runes
That wraps up our guide on exploring the Church of Vows in the game and how you can learn lore and spells, collect valuable loot, fight a boss, and perform absolution to revive NPCs at this location.
The Church serves as a great way to transition from the previous gameplay-focused theme to an engaging narrative alongside it. In fact, this Subreddit Post perfectly describes the sheer importance of the Church of Vows in the game. So visit Miriel whenever you can once you step into Liurnia!
For exploring more lore-heavy locations besides the Church of Vows in Elden Ring, here’s a guide on How To Reach The Moonlight Altar. Besides that, there are several other important areas you can visit in Liurnia, such as The Village Of The Albinaurics. And if you simply want to partake in even more secret boss encounters, check out our guide on the Night’s Cavalry in the game.
- Elden Ring Deathbird & Death Rite Bird Locations
- Elden Ring: How To Summon Spirits
- Elden Ring: Raya Lucarian Sorcerer Set Location
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍