As if the world of Elden Ring was not big enough, they decided to add secret areas for players to explore and get themselves either awarded or killed. But to access these areas, players need a reasonably rare item known as Stonesword key. These keys can be found throughout the map and bought by merchants scattered in the Lands Between. Therefore, let’s explore all the Elden Ring Stonesword key locations to get you into those secret areas.
There are many locations and merchants where you can get Stonesword keys from, but the very first Stonesword key that you will be able to acquire will be through the Keepsakes. But perhaps it might not be the best keepsake option, read our Elden Ring Keepsakes guide and find out how to get them.
Key Locations – Merchants:
- Murkwater Cave Merchant: The first Merchant can be found in the early game area, Limgrave. Just go to the Murkwater Cave and you can purchase the key
- Round Table Merchant: Two-three hours into the game, you will get the option to fast travel to the Roundtable, where you can find him to get the key.
- Siofra River Merchant: The next Merchant can be found underground in the Siofra River, you’ll have to go underground and he will be in the central Site of Grace.
- Isolated Merchant Shack Merchant: This Merchant is a little bit easier to get to, even having a Site of Grace named after him. He can be found west of Weeping Peninsula, inside his mini wooden shack.
- Castle Morne Rampart Merchant: Another merchant can be found in the same area as the last. Just East of the Isolated Merchant Shack, south of the bridge, near the Castle Morne Rampart Site of Grace.
- Mt. Gelmir Merchant: Halfway up Mt. Gelmir, north-east of Ninth Mt. Gelmir Campsite, and South-east of Volcano Cave, you can find this Merchant.
Key Locations – Open World:
- Stranded Graveyard Locations: These keys can be found in the graveyard
- Dragon-Burnt Ruins: This key can be found east of Cave of Knowledge, west of Waypoint Ruins Cellar, in the Dragon-Burnt Ruins. A corpse will be holding it.
- Weeping Peninsula Locations:
- Bridge of Sacrifice #1: You’ll have to go to the Bridge of Sacrifice in the upper east Weeping Peninsula, there you’ll find the key on the ground.
- Bridge of Sacrifice #2: At the same bridge, just below it on the southeast, you’ll find another key dropped on the ground.
- Castle Morne: To obtain this key you need to navigate from the Behind the Castle Site of Grace down towards the west back, there a corpse hanging on a platform will have the key.
- Stormhill Locations:
- Stormhill Shack: The key will be dropped on the ground, just next to the Stormhill Site of Grace.
Stormveil Castle Locations:
- Rampart Tower: From the top of the Rampart Tower, inside Stormveil castle, a key can be found on a broken roof.
- Liurnia of the Lakes Locations:
- Academy Crystal Cave: This Key can be found west of Church of Cuckoo and directly south of Crystalline woods, a cage inside a room will have it
- Siofra River Locations:
- Hallowed Grounds: It can be found inside the river on a ruin next to the Hallowed Grounds.
- Beam Pillars: The next Stonesword key can be found by climbing across the support beams and pillars of a ruined wall in the Siofra River.
- Nokron, Eternal City: The key can be located by finding a corpse by a ledge that overlooks the entire ruined temple.
- Mt. Gelmir Locations:
- Fort Laid: It can be found just north of the fort, under a burnt tree.
- Academy of Raya Lucaria Locations:
- Raya Lucaria Academy’s courtyard: The Stonesword key can be found just near the School House Classroom Site of Grace, it is placed on a fountain.
- Raya Lucaria – Debate Parlor: You can find it through an Illusory Wall near the Debate Hall Site of Grace and Schoolhouse Classroom Site of Grace.
- Ainsel River Locations:
- Uhl Palace: The Stonesword key can be found underground in the Uhl Palace Ruins next to a giant poison flower.
- Nokstella, Eternal City: In Nokstella, Eternal City, you can find a corpse lying on edge, overlooking the waters. The corpse has a Key.
- Leyndell, Royal Capital Locations:
- Sealed Tunnel: You can find the Stonesword key at a higher ground. It is just west of the Divine Bridge.
- Auriza Hero’s Grave: The Key can be found on a small platform in the middle near the Auriza Hero’s Grave.
- Avenue Balcony Site – Chest: There is a chest located inside a room, in a building, just next to the site.
- Avenue Balcony Site – Grave: A grave guarded by two skeletons has the key on top of it
- Lower Capital Church: The following key is on top of a gazebo south and up two levels from the Lower Capital Church site in Leyndell Royal Capital.
- West Capital Rampart Site: The final Key in Leyndell Royal Capital is found on a corpse below the West Capital Rampart site.
Elden Ring Stonesword Key Locations – Merchants
There are quite a few keys to be collected, some out in the wild and some sold by merchants. If you are to rely solely on purchasing the keys through merchants, you can gather a fair amount of them. Here are all the merchants that sell the keys.
Additionally, if you are looking to buy Stonesword Keys from these merchants, you will be needing Runes. Here are the best ways to farm a great number of Runes to make your purchasing a lot easier: Elden Ring fastest Rune farming methods and exploits.
More From eXputer: Elden Ring Golden Seeds Locations
Murkwater Cave Merchant
Our first Merchant can be found in the early game area, Limgrave. Make your way over to Murkwater Cave as labeled in the picture. There will be an NPC invasion event as you make your way over for the first time, but you can avoid it by simply running past.
Once inside the cave, you will encounter yet another NPC, Patches, who will try to fight you. But the fight is short-lived as Patches, our Merchant, will give up and surrender after a few strikes. From here, you have the option to either kill him or spare him. Choose to spare his life, and he will allow you to trade but needs time to set up shop. Simply fast travel out of place and then back to it, and you can then purchase 1 Stonesword key for 5000 Runes.
However, if you ended up already killing him, then don’t worry. There is a chance that he dropped you a bell which you can give to the twin maiden husks at the round table. Upon receiving the bell, they will sell all his items there.
Round Table Merchant
A Similar Read: Elden Ring Best Confessor Build
The next Merchant is quite simple. Two-three hours into the game, you will get the option to fast travel to the Roundtable. Over there, you will find a merchant who has 3 Stonesword keys for 4000 Runes each.
Siofra River Merchant
The next Merchant can be found underground in the Siofra River. Head over there and take the lift to go underground. You’ll be led to a vast subterraneous area. Try to head towards the Central Site of Grace which is, well, you guessed it, in the center. From there, take the scaffolding pathway and climb the ladders up to a dungeon-like area. Inside, you will find the Merchant that sells the 3 Stonesword key for 2000 Runes each.
Isolated Merchant Shack Merchant
This Merchant is a little bit easier to get to, even having a Site of Grace named after him. Isolated Merchant Shack can be found west of Weeping Peninsula, inside his mini wooden shack. He also sells 3 Stonesword keys for 2000 Runes each.
These merchants not only provide Stonesword keys, but also other useful items that you can use throughout the game. If you are also looking for other NPCs which can sell you useful items, consider checking out all the blacksmiths around the map: Elden Ring Blacksmith Location guide.
Castle Morne Rampart Merchant
Another merchant can be found in the same area as the last, in Weeping Peninsula. Just East of the Isolated Merchant Shack, south of the bridge, near the Castle Morne Rampart Site of Grace, you can find this Merchant. He sells only 1 Stonesword key for 2000 Runes.
South Caelid Merchant
The next Merchant can be found in South Caelid, a relatively tougher area. So, if you are still in the early game, don’t try to fight anything; go to the Merchant. He sells 1 Stonesword key for 2000 Runes.
Mt. Gelmir Merchant
The final Merchant is in one of the later areas in the game. Halfway up Mt. Gelmir, north-east of Ninth Mt. Gelmir Campsite, and South-east of Volcano Cave, you can find this Merchant as marked in the picture. Mt. Gelmir merchant well may be the most expensive Merchant out of the list as he sells 1 Stonesword key for 5000 Runes.
Elden Ring: Stonesword Key Locations – Open World
Asides from Elden Ring Stonesword key locations, which have merchants selling the item, you can actually find them out in the wilderness too. Let’s explore those locations. Many of the map screenshots are taken using the useful interactive map created by the Elden Ring Wiki.
Many of these locations are spread widely across the map. Traveling to them could take a while which is why if you have not unlocked your horse, Torrent, yet then consider doing that first: Elden Ring Horse location and summon guide.
Stranded Graveyard Locations
These are the keys that can be found in the Stranded Graveyard area.
The following Stonesword key can be found east of Cave of Knowledge, west of Waypoint Ruins Cellar, in the Dragon-Burnt Ruins. Next to the main arc, a corpse will be in a room with the Giant Rat. The corpse will be holding the Stonesword Key.
Weeping Peninsula Locations
The following keys are accessible in the main game area, Weeping Peninsula.
Bridge of Sacrifice #1
Make your way over to the Bridge of Sacrifice in the upper east Weeping Peninsula. You can easily spot the Stonesword Key on the ground at the bridge’s southern end.
Bridge of Sacrifice #2
There is another Stonesword Key near Bridge of Sacrifice. It is not precisely on the bridge but directly south from the Bridge of Sacrifice Site of Grace, in the northeast area of Weeping Peninsula. You will find the item on a body sitting on a chair.
To access the Stonesword Key in Castle Morne, you need to make your way from the Behind the Castle Site of Grace down towards the west back. You will find a castle section with a wooden platform on the left. The area will have a corpse hanging from it with the Stonesword Key.
In the upper half of Limgrave, we find Stormhill. Therefore, the following are the Elden Ring Stonesword Key locations found in that region.
Found right next to the Stormhill Site of Grace, the Stonesword key is just waiting on the ground to be collected. It is southeast of Limgrave Tower bridge, close to the boss arena of Margit.
Stormveil Castle Locations
Stormveil Castle is a massive Dungeon like area with the most challenging enemies and bosses that you probably faced/will face. Well, it also has some Stonesword keys.
If you are looking for a way to deal with the harder enemies, consider upgrading your weapons. Discover the best-ranged weapons out there: 13 Best Ranged Weapons In Elden Ring.
Right near the Rampart Tower in Stormveil Castle, the Stonesword key in this location can be found inside a building section with a broken roof. To gain access to it, approach it from the top of the Rampart Tower.
Liurnia of the Lakes Locations
Up next, we have locations in the Liurnia of the Lakes.
Academy Crystal Cave
The next Stonesword key can be found in the Academy Crystal Cave, west of Church of Cuckoo and directly south of Crystalline woods. Head towards the Sages on the left side and enter the next room. Look for the cage in the room and find the item inside it.
Siofra River Locations
The vast underground area of the Siofra River also contains many Elden Ring Stonesword key locations.
In the Siofra River, climb across a ruin next to the Hallowed Grounds. Take up the gust of wind at the edge of the cliff, taking you up towards the item.
The next Stonesword key can be found by climbing across the support beams and pillars of a ruined wall in the Siofra River.
Nokron, Eternal City
Near the deer carcass, you will find a corpse by a ledge that overlooks the entire ruined temple. Furthermore, this ledge can be found near the cliff with the spirit jellyfish, just a level lower.
Mt. Gelmir Locations
Up next, we have Elden Ring Stonesword key location in Mt. Gelmir.
Although it is not directly inside Fort Laiedd, the following Stonesword key can be found on a corpse north of Fort Laiedd in Mt. Gelmir. The carcass should be under a burnt tree in the marked location.
Academy of Raya Lucaria Locations
There are also Stonesword keys to be found in the Academy of Raya Lucaria. Let’s discuss their locations.
Raya Lucaria Academy’s courtyard
Through the main academy gate, found just near the School House Classroom Site of Grace, you will find the Stonesword key on a fountain. The fountain is in the center of Raya Lucaria Academy’s courtyard.
Raya Lucaria – Debate Parlor
Found in Raya Lucaria Academy, through an Illusory Wall near the Debate Hall Site of Grace and Schoolhouse Classroom Site of Grace.
Ainsel River Locations
If you head down towards Ainsel River, you can also find some Stonesword Keys.
The Stonesword key can be found underground in the Uhl Palace Ruins next to a giant poison flower.
Nokstella, Eternal City
Within Nokstella, Eternal City, you can run into a corpse lying on edge, overlooking the waters.
Leyndell, Royal Capital Locations
The following are the Elden Ring Stonesword Key locations found within Leyndell, Royal Capital.
Within the third secret area of the Sealed tunnel, you can find the Stonesword key at a higher ground. It is just west of the Divine Bridge.
Auriza Hero’s Grave
Upon passing the third part of the giant chariots, you can find the Stonesword key on a small platform in the middle near the Auriza Hero’s Grave.
Avenue Balcony Site – Chest
Just southeast of Avenue Balcony site, there is a chest in a side room of a building with five lightning pot throwing peasants. There you will find a Stonesword key.
Avenue Balcony Site – Grave
In Leyndell Royal Capita, northeast of Avenue Balcony site, you will find a grave guarded by two skeletons and a zombie. The Stonesword key is on top of that grave.
Lower Capital Church
The following key is on top of a gazebo south and up two levels from the Lower Capital Church site in Leyndell Royal Capital.
West Capital Rampart Site
The final currently known Stonesword Key in Leyndell Royal Capital is found on a corpse below the West Capital Rampart site. Drop down and onto the petrified dragon foot and then inside the 2nd story wooden building.
Elden Ring: Stonesword Key
In case you are confused about what a Stonesword Key is or how they work, this section will guide you through it.
What are Stonesword Keys
Elden Ring Stonesword Keys are rare items that are used to break the seals on Imp Statues. These items can be acquired by purchasing them through Merchants and exploring the map. They’re pretty hard to come by, making them rare, but there’s enough to unlock many of the fascinating hidden areas in the game. There’s no exact number on how many of these are in the game as of yet, but there are at least 20 in-game locations where you can find Stonesword keys just laying on the ground. Besides that, +10 keys can be bought from merchants.
The items are one-time use only. So, if you end up utilizing them, you will need more to access other Imp Statues.
How to use Stonesword Keys
As mentioned, the Stonesword Keys get used on Imp Statues. These statues and the hidden areas are also found throughout the map. What is behind these statues can be unpredictable. For example, the first statue you run into at the beginning of the game has a boss fight waiting for you. However, an Imp Statue at the Roundtable grants the player armor.
So just to be prepared against any boss fights that might be in store for you, consider checking out the best melee weapons to deal with any threats: 25 Best Melee Weapons In Elden Ring.
These statues can either use up one Stonesword key or two depending on the type of statue. They can be distinguished with the lit-up Imps on them. The number of lit-up Imps corresponds to the keys required. Do bear in mind if you run into a statue that requires two keys, you cannot unlock one and wait till you get another key. You have to use both the keys together.
With that, you are all caught up on what the item is and how it can be used, continue onwards to hunt down each key with all the Elden Ring Stonesword key locations that we discussed.
With that, we have Elden Ring Stonesword key locations. You can purchase them from merchants or hunt for them in the open world. Keep in mind that the world is massive and there could be many other locations. So, if we missed any spot you know of, do let us know in the comments!
Here are some other Elden Ring Location Guides you must read.
- Moonveil Katana Location
- Armor Sets With Locations
- Village Of The Albinaurics: Location
- All Map Fragment Locations
- Dectus Medallion Left & Right Pieces Locations
- Meteoric Ore Blade Location
- Sacred Tear Churches Locations
- Twinblade Location
- Ashen Remains With Locations
- Moonlight Greatsword Location
- Sellen Location
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍