In Elden Ring, Deathroot serves as a valuable key item that can be collected throughout various locations. The players can find these rare plants in areas of decay or carry them after defeating powerful undead bosses or can exchange them with the bestial priest clergyman Gurranq in the Bestial Sanctum for special rewards.
Deathroots In Elden Ring
|1st||Summonwater Village in Limgrave|
|3rd||Black Knife Catacombs dungeon in Liurnia of the Lakes|
|4th||Eastern edge of the Liurnia Lakes.|
|5th||West side of the Altus Plateau|
|6th||Gelmir Hero’s Grave on Mt. Gelmir|
|7th||Giants’ Mountaintop Catacombs|
|8th||Between Castle Sol’s Main Gate and Snow Valley Ruins Overlook|
|9th||Hidden Path to the Haligtree|
There are a total of 9 Deathroots which the players can collect at different locations and stages as collectible pieces. These Deathroots are to be submitted to Gurranq as a task to complete Gurranq’s Questline and to obtain a few known incantations as rewards.
1st Deathroot – Summonwater VillageThe very first Deathroot is located at the Summonwater Village at the Limgrave; you have got to kill Tibia Mariner to obtain the Deathroot.
Obtaining The Summonwater Village Deathroot
- The first thing the players need to do is to talk to D(Hunter of the Dead).
- He is located right on the road just before the village.
- After that, you would be able to go to the SummonWater Village.
- In the village, you would have to fight and kill the Tibia Mariner.
- Following that, you would receive your first Deathroot.
- If you have already traveled beyond Limgrave, D will move locations.
- Consequently, you will have missed his first 2 locations, so you could just find him sitting at the Roundtable Hold.
Defeating The Tibia Mariner
- It is recommended to ride Torrent for the Tibia Mariner fight.
- Tibia Mariner’s attacks are wide-sweeping, slow, and powerful, and he has skeletal minions that can overwhelm players if they do not keep the pressure up.
- Torrent allows the players to find Tibia Mariner faster after teleporting away.
- Ranged players have an advantage as Tibia Mariner cannot close the distance between them, and the minions are slow enough to avoid Torrent without being hit.
- Melee players should be careful of Tibia Mariner’s slow, strong moves and dodge accordingly, but the fight is not too difficult for them.
- The Tibia Mariner only moves by teleporting or rowing a few feet forwards.
- You don’t need to worry about its gap closers or close-range abilities when using spells or arrows.
- You should Ride Torrent in a circle around the Mariner and use the Cerulean Flask to keep up the damage.
- Fully charge chargeable spells for maximum damage as the players are unlikely to be interrupted at range.
- The players should watch out for it to teleport away and chase it down to continue attacking from a safe distance.
- The strategy for fighting the Mariner depends on whether you are on horseback or foot.
- On horseback, fully charge Heavy attacks while slowly riding around the Mariner to avoid its close-range attacks.
- Being on Torrent helps to find the Mariner after it teleports and avoid its summons.
- On foot, you should dodge away from the Mariner when it raises one side of the boat to slam.
- When the Mariner summons a wave beneath the boat for its close-range AoE attack, you should run a few steps back.
After that, the players should go into the Bestial Sanctum, talk to Gurranq, and give him the Deathroot. Gurranq will grant you the Beast Eye and Clawmark Seal as a reward.
2nd Deathroot – Deathtouched CatacombsDeathtouched Catacombs is one of the Small Dungeons in Elden Ring’s Limgrave Region. It is an optional dungeon with a few treasured items and a miniboss.
Obtaining The Deathtouched Catacombs Deathroot
- Upon entering the catacombs, there is a Site of Grace, a room with Root Resin, a Summoning Pool, and a locked door.
- Defeat two skeletal warriors and be careful not to let them resurrect.
- Proceed down the left steps to find three more skeletal warriors, one with a bow.
- Head to the opposite end of the room to defeat four skeletal warriors on the ground floor and three skeletal archers on the level above.
- Pick up the Bloodrose and Grave Violet and interact with the lever to open the locked doors.
- Beware of two awakened skeletons in the previous room as you enter the lever room.
- Head down the tunnel previously skipped finding two awakened skeletons and Grave Violet and Glovewort.
- Proceed through the second tunnel to defeat three skeletal archers and obtain Uchigatana and another Glovewort.
- Backtrack to the room with the Summoning Pool and previously locked doors and head down the stairs to a mist wall
- From there on, you will face a Black Knife Assassin, which you will defeat, and then grab the Root Resin in the back corners of the room.
- You will open the chest and your 2nd Deathroot will be there.
Tips For Fighting The Black Knife Assassin
- The Assassin is a humanoid foe that starts the fight with depleted health and likes to keep a distance from the player.
- Walking backward can dodge the Assassin’s spin attack.
- You can block, parry, or dodge-roll to avoid the Assassin’s combo move consisting of two slashes and a lunge.
- The fight is a battle of attrition where the player must get in a couple of hits before the Assassin dashes away and roll out of the way of the lunges.
- When the Assassin’s health decreases to about ⅓, the players need to adjust their dodge timing as the second slash before the dash lunge is delayed by a second or so.
- Upon defeating the Assassin, they will drop the Assassin’s Crimson Dagger.
- The player should grab the Root Resin in the back corners of the room and open the chest to receive Deathroot before leaving.
You will receive a Bestial Sling Incantation as a reward for the Deathroot obtained at the Deathtouched Catacombs.
3rd Deathroot – Black Knife CatacombsLocated within the Liurnia of the Lakes Region in Elden Ring, the Black Knife Catacombs is a dungeon that offers a variety of rewards to intrepid adventurers. One can expect to encounter challenging bosses, acquire formidable weapons, obtain valuable Deathroot, and uncover powerful ashes within its depths.
Obtaining The Black Knife Catabombs Deathroot
- When you are riding towards the 3rd Deathroot in the Northeast, you are going to face bears and a guy who turns invisible.
- It would be better to avoid the above-mentioned creatures and just go along the way.
- After you have entered Black Knife Catacombs, Beast Eye will quiver, and you will know you are close to the Deathroot.
- When you get to the hall where blades are falling down, you must stand in the middle one, and it will lift you to a ledge.
- You will keep running, and then another Black Knife Assassin will occur. It would be optional for you to fight him.
- Then you will see a skeleton archer and kill him and then go forward and drop down.
- You will enter into a basement and then hit the lever and then another lever.
- The door around you will open, and you would run around everything and just climb up the ladders.
- Then you would move around a little and then enter the Cemetery Shade.
- There are two melees and one range skeleton, but they are very low health, so you should kill them.
- Following that, you will see a chest, and there you will have your 3rd Deathroot.
Tips For Fighting The Black Knife Assassin
- The Black Knife Assassin starts the fight with low health.
- He prefers to maintain a distance from the player character.
- They often use a ghostly dash backward to evade attacks.
- The Assassin’s spin attack can be dodged by walking backward.
- Their combo move includes two slashes followed by a dash lunge.
- The slashes can be blocked, parried, or dodge-rolled, while rolling is the best option for the lunge.
- The fight becomes a battle of attrition where the player character has to get in a couple of hits before the Assassin dashes away.
- As the Assassin’s health drops to around half, the timing of the second slash in their combo is delayed, requiring the player character to adjust their dodge timing.
- If you best the Black Knife Assasin, you would receive Assasin’s Cerulean Dagger and Black Knifeprint item.
Dealing With Skeletons And Guillotines
- In the catacombs, the main enemies are skeletons and their masters.
- The skeletons move faster and revive indefinitely unless their necromancers are killed.
- Use the environment to avoid fighting more than one enemy at once.
- Cramped quarters make fights more difficult, so fall back to more favorable conditions if needed.
- Alternatively, run past the skeletons and target their leader to make them collapse.
- There are three guillotine blades in one chamber; let them drop and step on the middle one as it rises to reach a higher ledge where a necromancer waits.
- Jump to the ledge and defeat the necromancer.
Fighting The Cemetery Shade Boss
- The Cemetery Shade is an enemy in the catacombs who brings along skeletons.
- It attacks from a distance with projectile magic while its affiliates keep you occupied.
- To protect yourself from the sorcery, keep stone columns between yourself and the Cemetery Shade.
- Move in close when you can to land an attack, then retreat once again.
- If you defeat the Cemetery Shade, you will receive the Twinsage Sorcerer Ashes item and some runes as a reward.
As a reward for obtaining the Deathroot from the Black Knife Catacombs, you will receive a Bestial Vitality Incantation.
4th Deathroot – East Of The Liurnia LakesThe 4th Deathroot is located on the east side of the Liurnia Lakes. East Liurnia is one of three sections that make up the huge territory of Lakes Liurnia in Elden Ring. East Liurnia is the first place you’ll likely see on your way to this region from Limgrave.
Obtaining The East Liurnia Lakes Deathroot
- This Deathroot Elden Ring is located just south of the Carian Study Hall.
- You will have to fight the Tibia Mariner and defeat him to proceed.
- Then you will have yourself the 4th Deathroot.
- It has already been discussed how to defeat Tibia Mariner in the 1st Deathroot above.
As a reward for obtaining the Deathroot from the Black Knife Catacombs, you will receive a Bestial Vitality Incantation.
5th Deathroot – Wyndham RuinsThe 5th Deathroot Elden Ring will be located on the west side of the Altus Plateau, and it is going to be right next to Wyndham Ruins.
Obtaining the Wyndham Ruins Deathroot
The players should go through the following two stages to attain the Wyndham Ruins Deathroot.
1st Stage – Items Needed For Altus Plateau
- The first item is in the chest, located at the very top of Fort Haight. The item is called the Dectus Medallion (left).
- The next item will be situated on top of Fort Faroth; you will get the Dectus Medallion(right).
- Now you could use the lift to get to the Altus Plateau.
- When you have reached the Altus Plateau, you will roam around.
- There you will see a river and go into it; your Beast Eye will quiver, indicating you are close to the Deathroot.
- There you would have to face another Tibia Mariner.
- This Tibia Mariner can summon a big skeleton which is pretty hard to defeat.
- After you have beaten the Boss, you will have the 5th Deathroot.
As a reward for obtaining the Deathroot Elden Ring from the Wyndhum Ruins, you will receive a Beast Claw.
6th Deathroot – Gelmir Hero’s GraveThe 6th Deathroot Elden Ring is locked in Gelmir Hero’s Grave. Gelmir Hero’s Grave is located on Mt. Gelmir in Elden Ring and is home to the Red Wolf of the Champion. In addition, this tomb contains crafting materials, spirit upgrading materials, a Stonesword Key, and two complete armor sets.
Obtaining the Gelmir Hero’s Grave Deathroot
Obtaining the Gelmir Hero’s Grave Deathroot requires going through the following stages.
- First, you will have to reach Volcano Manor.
- To reach the dungeon west of Volcano Manor, you can loop around the cliff to the south or head north from Hermit Village.
- Inside the dungeon, ride the lift down and proceed to the room ahead to find a Site of Grace.
- Head down the stairs to the left, where there is a sloping pathway.
- There are alcoves along the way where you can avoid the chariot, and some of them have Skeletons, Skeleton archers, and Grave Violets.
- At the end of the track, perform a running jump across the lava to the debris-filled path on the left and grab the Grave Glovewort plant.
- Heading up the stairs, there is a corridor rhythmically spewing fire, and you can sneak up to the swordsman to get a backstab in.
- Sprint through the corridor and strike the column producing the fire to lower it and stop the hazard.
- In the room to the south, there is an Undead Soldier and two Pages guarding a corpse holding a Golden Rune.
- Heading through the passageway to the south, there is another track for a chariot, and you can find a corpse holding a Stonesword Key by running up the slope to the right.
- Behind the column is a Bloodhound Knight who, upon defeating it, will give you the Bloodhound Knight set and a Gelmir Knight set can be found on a nearby corpse.
- Climb the stairs to find a corpse with Root Resin x5.
- Crouch out of the arched window openings and drop down to collect Grave Violet.
- In the alcove to the east, defeat Cemetery Shade to get Mantis Blade.
- Backtrack to the first slope and roll through the lava to reach a room with a Grave Violet plant and a chest containing a Ringed Finger weapon.
- Roll over to the alcove across the lava to collect Grave Glovewort (7) plant, drop down a gap, and land near a set of double doors.
- Collect Grave Glovewort (7) plant on the western wall, and from the bottom of the ladder, collect Beast Blood x3 from a corpse.
- Open the doors to a larger room with a set of stairs leading down towards the boss fight.
3rd Stage – Red Wolf Of The Champion Fight
- The Red Wolf of the Champion is a boss with a similar move set to the Red Wolf of Radagon.
- The Wolf is quick and powerful, using both ranged and close-quarters combat.
- Its biting and swipe attacks are quick and part of multi-hit combos, so be careful before attacking.
- The Wolf can summon a magic fiery sword that it swings with its mouth.
- These attacks are easier to see coming and easier to punish than basic attacks.
- Dodge towards the Wolf as it slashes or blocks the swings to guard the counter.
- The Wolf retreats and summons homing missiles that can be dodge-rolled.
- Keep an eye on the Wolf as it often closes the distance again and initiates attacks before all the missiles are gone.
- Upon defeating the Red Wolf of the Champion, the player earns the Bloodhound Knight Floh Ashes.
- There is a chest at the back of the arena that holds a Deathroot.
Getting the 6th Deathroot will result in rewarding you with the Stone of Gurranq Incantation.
7th Deathroot – Giants’ Mountaintop CatacombsThe 7th Deathoot will be located in the Giants’ Mountaintop Catacombs. Giants’ Mountaintop Catacombs is one of the Minor Dungeons found in the Mountaintops of the Giants Region in Elden Ring.
Obtaining The Giants’ Mountaintop Catacombs Deathroot
Obtaining the Giants’ Mountaintop Catacombs Deathroot takes longer than usual, but you will ultimately reach it.
1st Stage – Secret Haligtree Medallion Piece LocationsThe Haligtree Secret Medallion has two separate halves that you need to track down and piece together. They’ll grant you access to the secret area accessible through the Grand Lift of Rold.
Right Haligtree Medallion
- Players should look for the first half of the Haligtree Secret Medallion in the southwest corner of the Liurnia region.
- Specifically, they should go to the Village of the Albinaurics.
- To get there, players should start at the Liurnia Lake Shore Site of Grace and summon Torrent to ride west.
- They should continue west until the fresh water turns into a swamp.
- Then, they should look for a slope on the left that goes upward.
- At the top of the slope, players will find a hut with a graveyard, which they should pass.
- Then, they should turn left and climb the incline that goes eastward.
- The incline leads to two huts, and there is a pot against the cliff just past those structures.
- Hitting the pot will reveal a non-hostile Albinauric, who will give players the Haligtree Secret Medallion (Right).
Left Haligtree Medallion
- Players can find the second half of the medallion in Castle Sol, which is located on the north side of the Mountaintops of the Giants in Elden Ring.
- To obtain the medallion, players must make their way to the rooftop of Castle Sol and defeat the boss there.
- After defeating the boss and activating the nearby Site of Grace, players should continue north and use the lift on their right.
- They should follow the path to find the Haligtree Secret Medallion (Left) on the ground.
- To find the location described, players should head east from the Zamor Ruins.
- As they approach a large bridge, they should loop around the right-hand side just before the bridge to see a path sloping down to some double doors buried in the rock face.
- Through the doors, players will find a Site of Grace and a room lined with statues of Erdtree Burial Watchdogs.
- There are Fanged Imps to defeat in both the first and second rooms, and players should grab Grave Glovewort and Grave Violet before riding a lift down.
- At the bottom of the lift, players will see locked doors ahead and should defeat a Fanged Imp patrolling the corridor to the left before riding down another lift.
- After taking the lift down, there are two small Living Jars in the room, and a Giant Living Jar will ambush you in the main room.
- There are three small Living Jars around the outskirts of the main room and a Grave Violet to the left of the statue.
- A staircase on the west wall leads up to a room with dropping blades and flaming Living Jars.
- Past this room, there is a fork in the path, with a small room to the south and a path to the east with Land Squirts.
- Up the stairs to the east, there are two small Living Jars and a pressure plate to avoid.
- To the north is a room with a Giant Living Jar, which can be defeated by triggering the pressure plate.
- In the room with the pressure plate, there is a corpse holding Stimulating Boluses and a small archway where you can drop down to grab the Nascent Butterfly.
- There are 3 flaming Living Jars in the room before you choose from two paths: a path to the north leading to a lift or a path to the west leading up some stairs.
- Up the lift, there are three Fanged Imps and an Erdtree Burial Watchdog guarding a Grave Glovewort and a corpse holding Root Resin.
- Backtrack down the lift and drop down beneath it to deal with a Giant Living Jar and grab the Golden Rune off the dangling corpse.
4th Stage – Fighting The Ulcerated Tree Spirit
- The Ulcerated Tree Spirit is an aggressive, fast-moving enemy with long wind-ups to its attacks.
- It has a chain of lunging bites that requires a well-placed dodge.
- Sticking to the sides of the boss is the most effective place to dodge-roll out of many of its attacks.
- The Spirit can perform fire attacks, including breathing fire in front of itself, a grab attack followed by breathing fire, and a large sphere of flames.
- In Elden Ring, the creature often follows up its arm swipes with tail swings and arm stomps, which are the primary attacks to be wary of.
- Defeating the Ulcerated Tree Spirit earns a Golden Seed and the Glovewort Picker’s Bell Bearing, and there is a chest in the arena containing a Deathroot.
Obtaining the 7th Deathroot will reward you with the Beastclaw Greathammer.
8th Deathroot – North Of Mountaintop Of The GiantsThe 8th Deathroot Elden Ring is located on a ledge between Castle Sol Main Gate and Snow Valley Ruins Overlook, the North of the Mountaintop of the Giants.
Obtaining The Mountaintop Of The Giants Deathroot
- The Mountaintops of The Giants is one of the final and toughest areas in Elden Ring.
- You can access it in Elden Ring by completing the Leyndell Royal Capital Legacy Dungeon and using the Grand Lift of Rold.
- After defeating Morgott, The Omen King, Melina will tell you to visit the Grand Lift and mark it on your map.
- To get to the Grand Lift, you must go through one of the Divine Atlus Towers in Leyndell.
- From there, head to the Forbidden Lands, which is a short snowfield that leads to the Grand Lift of Rold.
- There is a gargoyle boss fight at the entrance to the lift, the Black Blade Kindred.
- Inside the lift, there is a Palm Reader and the lift that will take you to Mountaintops of the Giants.
- To explore the Northern parts of the Mountaintops of the Giants, go to the Freezing Lake Site of Grace.
- Just behind the Grace is a slope going upwards, leading to a large graveyard that triggers a Tibia Mariner boss fight.
- Defeating the Tibia Mariner will reward you with the Deathroot.
Collecting the Deathroot will reward players with various items, including the Gurranq’s Beast Claw Incantation.
9th Deathroot – Hidden Path To The HaligtreeThe 9th and the last Deathroot Elden Ring is located in Hidden Path to the Haligtree. The Hidden Path to the Haligtree is found in the Forbidden Lands. This location is accessed by activating the Grand Lift of Rold with both the Haligtree Secret Medallion(Left) and Haligtree Secret Medallion(Right).
Obtaining the Haligtree Deathroot
1st Stage – Killing Commander Niall To Access The 9th Deathroot
- Commander Niall summons two knights at the beginning of the fight, one with a shield and the other with two swords.
- Killing the two knights first is a mistake as it will enrage Niall and make him more difficult to defeat.
- Instead, let any summons occupy the knight with the shield and quickly kill the knight with two swords.
- Then attack Niall and inflict as much damage as possible.
- Niall primarily uses three attacks: a thrusting swipe, a 1-3 swipe sweep, and a quick frost swirl around him.
- Dodge his attacks and attack during his normal hits, then flee to avoid his whirlwind attack.
- After his last soldier dies, Niall charges his prosthetic leg with lightning and becomes more aggressive.
- He can dash and deliver a spinning kick or jump high before knocking his leg down.
- Try to inflict critical hits during openings and keep a knight alive to help with the fight.
- Now you will use the Haligtree Secret Medallions in the Grand Lift of Rold.
- That will take you to the Hiddenpath to the Haligtree.
- Go from Hidden Path to Haligtree Site of Grace, turn left, and reach the central platform.
- Jump down from the location shown in the picture to land on an invisible bridge.
- Walk on the invisible bridge to enter the room on the south side and find a Grave Glovewort.
- Hit the wall to make it disappear and get Silver Scarab.
- Walk on the invisible bridge to reach the room on the north side and find Sacramental Bud and Vulgar Militia Outfit.
- Walk straight on the invisible platform to enter the room on the west side and find a Grave Glovewort.
- Jump down on the right side to find Hero’s Rune.
- Climb up the window, turn right, pull the lever to open the boss’s door, and go south to reach the boss’s lair.
- Before entering the boss’s lair, go to the path on the right side to take the elevator to the top and collect the Spelldrake Talisman.
- Then a Boss called Mimic Tear Emerges inside a hall.
- Mimic Tear is a boss in a game that initially appears as a harmless blob.
- It transforms into a stronger form when the player gets close enough.
- To defeat it easily, the player can summon spirits to attack the blob form before it transforms.
- The blob has lower health and does less damage than the transformed version.
- Players can take off their weapons until they cross the fog gate, which tricks the system into causing Mimic to fight with fists while the player can use weapons.
- Defeat the Stray Mimic Tear boss inside the boss’s lair to get Blackflame Monk Amon ashes.
- To progress in Gurranq’s Questline, open the chest inside the boss’s room and obtain the Deathroot Elden Ring.
Collecting the 9th Deathroot will reward players with the Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
Completing The Gurranq’s QuestlineNow you have collected all of the Deathroots. The next step is to go to Bestial Sanctum and give all the Deathroots to Gurranq. Gurranq will reward the players with different items for all of the Deathroots given.
- To start Gurranq’s Quest, players need to progress through D, Hunter of the Dead’s Quest, and use a teleporter to reach the Bestial Sanctuary in Dragonbarrow.
- Head to the end of the hall and speak with Gurranq to learn about his desire for Deathroots; he promises to reward players if they feed him these items.
- For the first step of the Quest, players need to feed Gurranq four Deathroots.
- After feeding him the 4th Deathroot, he will turn hostile the next time players visit the Bestial Sanctum. To calm him down, players need to bring down his health by a certain amount.
- You can use tanky Spirit Summons and items like Poisonbone Darts or Spirit Ashes such as Spirit Jellyfish and Rotten Stray to achieve this.
- After giving him his 9th Deathroot Elden Ring, Gurranq will thank players and reward them with an Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
- Finally, they will have some more dialogues, and then after concluding his Quest and saying his goodbyes, you will encounter Gurranq again in the future, but he will appear in a different form.
The Deathroot Elden Ring is a one-of-a-kind artifact found solely in Gurranq’s questline. The voyage is part of the unique and interesting gameplay experience that a player has with Elden Ring. Obtaining the 9 Deathroots is as entertaining as it is difficult, so don’t be concerned.
Each Deathroot is located in a different area; some are easily obtainable, while others require significant effort due to the presence of creatures and bosses along the way. While progressing in the quest, there may be rewards for defeating the monsters along the path in Elden Ring, but sometimes it’s best to ignore them and continue with the quest. Furthermore, if you are new to Elden Ring, you can discover some helpful tips on this subreddit.
- Elden Ring Best Samurai Build
- Elden Ring Twin Maiden Husks Location
- Elden Ring Best Starting Class
- Elden Ring Icerind Hatchet Weapon
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍